Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pchc_lx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 152
Message 1 of 5

Both the 'System Update' and 'Lenovo Vantage' apps constantly take focus

Not sure if I'm using the right term but while either of these programs are checking for updates, cursor focus is contanstly being pulled to either the app itself or the numerous background processes it seems to be opening.

Seems minor but this means you literally can't multitask or do anything requiring typing while checking for updates, because your cursor is constantly being moved out of whatever you're trying to do.  This is especially a problem because of how long the scans take to run.

Few addl questions:

- Are these two apps doing the same thing, and if so, why are there two of them?  Just noticed the 'System Update' one today, Vantage I have had since purchase

- Why are there numerous 'Setup' popups being generated in the background while these programs scan? (see photo attached). If you Alt-Tab during the process, you can see many exe / software shell things opening and closing (is this what pulls focus away?). 

- Is there anyway to fix these programs so they run truly in the background?  Can't imagine it's a big ask to clean these up a bit.

Thanks!

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th 20KHCTO1WW w/ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 132
Message 2 of 5

Re: Both the 'System Update' and 'Lenovo Vantage' apps constantly take focus

I've also seen this problem, so I'll ask our software team if there is any possibility for improvement.

To answer your questions:  Vantage is the "made for Win10" app.  System Update was originally for Win7.  But It has a lot of enterprise capability for IT admins so we also support it on Win10.  There is no  need to have both Vantage and System Update installed at the same time. 

The setup apps which run in the background during "check for updates" are tools which Vantage uses to determine currently-installed versions such as dock firmware, thunderbolt firmware, anything special like that which can't be determined normally in Device Manager.

pchc_lx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the info!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 63
Message 4 of 5

Just a quick update to let you know I haven't forgotten about this issue.  We are still working on it.  Sorry for such slow progress.

pchc_lx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 60
Message 5 of 5

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors