cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilovecats
Fanfold Paper
Views: 237
Message 1 of 3

Bought X1 Yoga 3rd gen with LTE, is it possible to buy data "as you go" without monthly fee in US?

This is my first laptop that has integrated WAN/LTE. The reason I want it is to use it as a backup when there is no Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi is too slow. But I really do not want to pay a monthly plan for it, because I expect my usage to be minimal.

Is it possible to pre-purchase some "block" of data but not pay monthly? I really like Verizon's LTE service in my area, but it seems all their prepaid plans are monthly.  So if I were to put in a Verizon SIM, activate a month of service, then stop the renewal, the next time I need to use the data do I have to insert a new SIM card?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 186
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bought X1 Yoga 3rd gen with LTE, is it possible to buy data "as you go" without monthl

Hi ilovecats! Welcome to our forums community. You can not use the mobile data without any sim card on the laptop. Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 184
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bought X1 Yoga 3rd gen with LTE, is it possible to buy data "as you go" without monthl

@Jwes_Lenovo wrote:

Hi ilovecats! Welcome to our forums community. You can not use the mobile data without any sim card on the laptop. Regards

I think we can all agree on this.. That was not the question though. The question was: are there ways to get a SIM for a block of data or a short time, as opposed to a monthly contract. 

Answer: short term SIM cards exists for some companies. Any pay-as-you-go plan allows you to buy one month and get out. But 'fixed block of data, use anytime' doesn't exist as far as I know. Pay as you go cards that only start 'counting' at some arbitrary later time also don't exist afaik. You'd have to buy for a specific month, and use it in that month.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors