Options

3 Posts

11-28-2019

US

4 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1 of 7

Brand New Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 Unusable After 30 Mins - Black Screen Boot

2019-11-28, 9:19 AM

Just received a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 i7 8850 32gb ram, 4k, 1050, 1tb from amazon. I haven't been on windows since windows 7. Now, I switched back after using mac for 5 years. So, I turned the machine on, went through the annoying cortana process, and I installed windows updates. I let the battery fall to 10%. Then I put it on the charger so it can go to 100%, and I turned it off. I check back after a couple of hours, turn on the machine, the fans start up, the fingerprint sensor lights up, but there is no lenovo boot screen, there is no windows login. Simply, a black screen. The black screen never leaves. It's like the whole machine turns on but the screen is dead.

Nothing better than a brand new machine acting like this.

Has it happened to anyone else? Is there a solution? Should I return the laptop?

Options

3651 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4304 Signins

48272 Page Views

• Views: 48272
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Brand New Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 Unusable After 30 Mins - Black Screen Boot

2019-11-28, 10:32 AM

It sounds like it is not resuming from Sleep mode, which is a known issue with the latest Windows 10 1903 update, and was probably installed as part of those Windows updates, so try this step to get it back up and running.     

On the bottom of your laptop there is a very small Emergency Reset hole next to the center screw (see image below).

With the AC adapter unplugged, use a bent paperclip etc. to gently press and hold the button for about 5 seconds, then re-attach the AC adapter, power up the laptop, and with any luck it will boot normally. 

Your system probably has both the Intel UHD Graphics 630 in processor, and the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, so you need to get the latest drivers for both of them installed.   

Intel's driver installer checks to see if you are running an OEM (e.g. a Lenovo)  driver, and if so will give you a compatibility error and direct you to Lenovo, so to install the latest DCH driver from Intel, you must first switch to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver as detailed below.

Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers   (Version: 26.20.100.7463 (Latest) Date: 11/14/2019)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29195/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126790

Before starting, download the latest Intel DCH driver for your graphics adapter and disconnect any external monitors etc. for the time being.

• Right-click on Start and select Device Manager

• Click on "Display Adapters" to expand, and then double-click on your Intel HD Graphics adapter

• Select the Driver tab -> "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" -> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

• Select “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”

• Click “Next” (note that your screen resolution will likely change when it switches to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver).

• Close Device Manager

• Reboot if prompted

You should now be able to install the latest Intel DCH driver installer successfully.

The latest Nvidia driver for your GTX 1050Ti can be found here;  

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/155058

I usually uncheck the option to install their GeForce Experience application during the installation since it is mostly tailored to gamers, but you can read more about it here and make your own choice.   

Best of luck,

Options

3 Posts

11-28-2019

US

4 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: Brand New Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 1 Unusable After 30 Mins - Black Screen Boot

2019-11-28, 21:59 PM

Actually, the problem appears to be different... Probably hardware problem. The screen is not black, the machine is not in sleep mode - the machine runs - I connected it to external monitor and it works fine. BUT, the laptop screen is EXTREMELY DIM. The only way to barely see something is by pointing a flashlight directly at the screen, inside a dark room. I tried everything, and now I did a system restore, and the windows installation runs, but it is the same thing.... darkness. Something is wrong with the actual physical monitor of the laptop, causing it to have no light. Brightness up and down buttons do nothing, same thing within windows settings. Hardware problem, I will have to return the machine.

Options

5 Posts

11-29-2019

BE

21 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-11-29, 12:52 PM

I'm experiencing the same issue you mention; however being on a X1 carbon 6th gen. 

Keep us posted if you decide to keep the laptop! 

Options

3651 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4304 Signins

48272 Page Views

• Views: 48272
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-11-29, 21:36 PM

Bummer, that sure sounds like the backlighting has failed, which means you are going to have to send it in to be repaired.     

If you can, I would see if you can simply return it directly to Amazon so you do not have to deal with Lenovo Warranty Support, because it can sometimes take months, and much frustration, to get your system back from Lenovo after you send it in..

Best of luck,

Options

3 Posts

11-28-2019

US

4 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-11-30, 20:21 PM

Correct. Hardware problem. I shipped it back to the Amazon seller, and I am supposed to get a refund a day or two after he receives it. I have dealt with lenovo tech/warranty years ago and the experience was terrible. Now, after I get the refund, I might get an XPS or Macbook or Surface 3.... 

Options

1 Posts

08-09-2020

AF

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 7

IdeaPad s145 doesn't boot with power light slow blinking - Black Screen Boot

2020-08-09, 9:08 AM

If Novo switch doesn't work with single touch, Pressing Novo switch, keep pressing and releasing power button till recovery window appears while power adaptor is plugged. Try with first option, normal boot. If it fails, repeat the procedure and choose third option. You may loose your personal files. Always keep a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 recovery which can be made from the laptop while it's still working. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete