Germany

26 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 1 of 7

Brand new X250 - Major Trackpad Problem

2015-03-16, 18:18 PM

Hello all,

I was so happy when my new ThinkPad X250 Touch (i7-5600U, 512GB SSD, ...) arrived today.

During installation and configuration I noticed that something is not right with my Trackpad - it stops responding sporadically. For example during software installation I had to left click the "Next" button several times until it finally recognized the click.

To further examine the issue I performed several tests and found that both the left and the right mouse button function of the Trackpad sometimes simply does not work / register the click. Both tapping and clicking the Trackpad is showing the symptoms. When performing continuous clicking, the problem appears by average every 30 seconds. The length, the clicks are not registered, varies from a single unregistered click to several seconds not registering any clicks. The Trackpoint keys seem to work fine, however.

I upgraded BIOS from 1.05 to 1.06, performed all available updates and verified that my Synaptics Thinkpad Ultranav driver was up to date (18.1.27.14). I even read the user manual to confirm I am using the Trackpad correctly :-)

Does anyone have a clue what might be the culprit or how I can find out if it is a hardware or software issue?

Am I an isolated case or are there other reports about this (haven't found any so far)?

Has Lenovo over-engineered the X250 Trackpad with gazillions of touch gestures that the basic core feature (clicking) is now highly error-prone?

Thanks in advance,

Werner

Options

8 Posts

03-16-2015

Germany

26 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Brand new X250 - Major Trackpad Problem

2015-03-23, 15:51 PM

Technician was here today to fix the problem. He told us we're not the only ones with this issue.

He was also surprised that Lenovo only provided him a cable that he should swap.

Unsurprisingly the error was not fixed after he exchanged the cable.

He will be back in a few days to exchange the Trackpad. But he already mentioned he's not really sure it will help and suspected a Mainboard fault.

Not a happy customer, not at all!

Options

3 Posts

03-24-2015

Toronto

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 3 of 7

2015-03-24, 23:54 PM

Signed in just to mention I have the same issue. The "integrated" buttons on the trackpad intermitently don't work (both the left and the right). The dedicated buttons, however, work all the time. 

How did the technicinan fix the problem?

Options

8 Posts

03-16-2015

Germany

26 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2015-03-26, 15:35 PM

Unfortunately I was still at work when the technician came.

I was told he had to take it apart several times to make it boot up again after disassembly.

When I came home from work, I noticed my original issue was still existent and - guess what - now also the Trackpoint buttons do not work any more!

When I called the technician, he was not surprised and intended to come back Wednesday (yesterday). I haven't heard from him since.

What a terrible experience.

Options

3 Posts

03-24-2015

Toronto

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 5 of 7

2015-03-26, 19:46 PM
That's pretty terrible. He must be swamped if this problem is as common as
we think. I somewhat alleviated the problem by disabling a few settings in
the driver (I'm AFLaptop right now so I can remember which ones.. They had
to do with selectively disabling the keypad while typing and "dead zones"
around the periphery of the trackpad.

Please keep me abreast as to what solution he comes up with, and I'll
attempt to copy it here.

Options

8 Posts

03-16-2015

Germany

26 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2015-03-31, 17:02 PM

We've been informed today that both the trackpad and the mainboard(!) will be exchanged - probably next week.

Options

8 Posts

03-16-2015

Germany

26 Signins

181 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2015-04-10, 10:33 AM

Short story: Another technician was here today; laptop is still not fixed. He advised me to contact Lenovo to ask for a completely new device (as 3 repairs are now registered in the system).

An unfriendly guy at the hotline just told me 3 repairs is not enough to get a new device - one of the repairs also needs to be at the Lenovo workshop. He now wants me to send the device to the workshop! He did not let me talk to his supervisor and did not give me a phone number of a complaint department.

Now I am really fed up! Working in the IT industry myself, I know the business well and up to now have been a really patient and friendly customer. As an IT decision maker in my company, I will think again before issuing another order to Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms