Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DemonicHawk
Punch Card
Views: 3,562
Message 1 of 5

CPU won't go at full speed

Hello everyone, I just recently got a x61s, but after doing some testing on it, I realized that the CPU won't run at full speed. Just to note, the rated CPU speed is 1.6ghz.

In the BIOS, I've disabled speedstep and the CPU power management.

In windows, I've set the power plan to maximum performance.

I've checked with the intel processor utility and CPU-Z and they both show 1.19ghz (which I'm guessing is 199.50 x 6 (multiplier))

Am I forgetting something? or might there be something wrong with my cpu?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I've attached a picture, it should explain the situation better.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1910/43286500zh9.jpg

Message Edited by DemonicHawk on 01-03-2009 08:31 PM
Roger99
Token Ring
Views: 3,527
Message 2 of 5

Re: CPU won't go at full speed

This is a non-problem. 

The processor has several power-saving features including lower clock speeds. It is normal for a test program to show a slower speed if the CPU is not under load.

Read the notes on the screenshot you posted.  

DemonicHawk
Punch Card
Views: 3,509
Message 3 of 5

I've turned all of the power saving features off (at least i think i have). Also, I've tried putting both cores at 100% loading using stress test programs, but it still gives the same result. Any other suggestions?
Roger99
Token Ring
Views: 3,491
Message 4 of 5

Some test programs do not see mobile processors in their full speed state.  If you want to see the full range of clock states try using Everest which can display the clock speeds for each core instanteously in the task bar or the Vista side bar. If that doesn't show the full speed when you run a heavy program then you might have to check the Thinkpad power drivers. 

DemonicHawk
Punch Card
Views: 3,477
Message 5 of 5

I've tested with many programs, including Everest. They all seem to yield the same result.

Anyhow, I've found a solution to this, setting it to adaptive in the power settings seems to allow it to go to the max speed, so I guess I can live with that.

But now I have another related problem on my hands.. on battery power, the CPU doesn't seem to be limited in any way (runs full speed all the time). Kind of ironic that it runs full speed on battery but limited on AC. Anyhow, I've set the settings in the power manager to lowest. Hope someone can help me with this, its driving me crazy!

edit: Alright.. I used the Intel app again, and it seems to show a slower speed.. I guess I'm just going to have to trust that its doing everything as set.

edit2: I've figured it all out.. when your laptop is connected to the AC ONLY, it underclocks your CPU (apparently cause the AC alone can't provide enough power), only when your on AC + Battery, will you be able to run at full speed. Pretty stupid design.. but apparently some of the macbooks have this same issue.

Message Edited by DemonicHawk on 01-04-2009 08:55 PM
Message Edited by DemonicHawk on 01-05-2009 12:29 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors