cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gr8wi9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,201
Message 51 of 120

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

I installed 1.19 yesterday and so far so good.  I really can't tell any difference in the fan noise, but I also do not know how to monitor fan speed.  Can someone help me with that?

Also, upgrading from 1.17 to 1.19 does not solve the problem of failure to restart after a shutdown.  If I shut it down, then try to restart the next morning it locks up.  The little spinning thing stops spinning.  So I have to force a shutdown with the power button, then restart it.  It seems to work ok if I only turn it off for a short time, but after being off for an extended (unknown) period it locks up during startup.

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,194
Message 52 of 120

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

Thank you for the detail information.We’re working on the problem you mentioned - can’t startup over long time shutdown or sleep. It’s a hiccup on Win10 RS5.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

As a temporary workaround, you can go to BIOS and change display settings from Discrete to Hybrid. 

A solution is under testing and hopefully we can roll it out soon. I will open a thread when it’s ready.

gr8wi9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,174
Message 53 of 120

Thank you very much for this info.
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,146
Message 54 of 120

Under 1.19, does X1E support S3 wake from sleep under Linux ?

yfnew
Token Ring
Views: 2,129
Message 55 of 120

Updated to 1.19 today, and surprisingly, the performance seems to be better than 1.18. I have attached my CineBench R15 screenshot. On BIOS 1.18, the score was 1079, and on BIOS 1.19, the score is now 1122. Overall, I am very impressed with this update. 

cinebench.JPG

flyte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,122
Message 56 of 120

While I don't find v1.19 affects performance much, I do like the fan noise levels now. Much more pleasant. 

Here are my Cinebench results, (I have a X1E - so GPU is different than yfnew)

cin_results.png

The 1226 score was on v1.18, high score of 1263 was on v1.19 

Note the low score of 901 - that was before I repasted with Thernal Grizley Kryonaut. All results were with a -125mv undervolt. Overall, I couldn't get more performance until I repasted. I still think generally the X1E runs a bit hot... 

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 1,823
Message 57 of 120

Works great, Stupid Lenovo Vantage oddly still reports it as Bios 1.18 N2EET36W instead of the newer 1.19 N2EET37W (which is properly shows inside the bios settings, and the update tool recognises that it is on the current version).

Krause
Punch Card
Views: 1,815
Message 58 of 120

@gr8wi9 wrote:

I installed 1.19 yesterday and so far so good.  I really can't tell any difference in the fan noise, but I also do not know how to monitor fan speed.  Can someone help me with that?

Also, upgrading from 1.17 to 1.19 does not solve the problem of failure to restart after a shutdown.  If I shut it down, then try to restart the next morning it locks up.  The little spinning thing stops spinning.  So I have to force a shutdown with the power button, then restart it.  It seems to work ok if I only turn it off for a short time, but after being off for an extended (unknown) period it locks up during startup.

Another soloution, in Windows go to the old school Power Options menu in the Control Panel and click "Choose what the power buttons do" in the upper left corner, In there you want to click the "Change settings that are currently unavialable" option with the shield then uncheck "Turn on fast startup".

Fast startup on this laptop with updated drivers seems broken, since hibernate resume is sort of broken. Its best to just disable it, it adds an additional .5 seconds of load time to these fast systems and you get the benefit of a fully fresh boot instead of a crappy partial hibernate restore.

Alzerha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,719
Message 59 of 120

Hi,

I just received my brand new X1 Extreme I5-8300 - 2 screens type-C in add.

I still have fans problem, they are spinning each 5 minutes.

I'm in 1.19 Bios version, Nvidia last driver, no more windows updates too..

I have tried to desable smart colling in Lenevo Ventage, put power management in battery life/less performance, and put colling AC Power on passif.

I had exactly the same issue with my Thinkpad P72 P3200.

I think you have really a bad issue with all your thinkpad products...

You can find attached screenshot about AIDA64, only Dropbox was sync. No more sofwares was run.

stabilitytest1.png

If anyone have an idea... or i'wll return back again my Lenovo product ?
Thanks

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,712
Message 60 of 120

Thanks for sharing- the snapshot helps a lot.

however this was not like the fan from BIOS 1.19 - can you attach AC adapter, change the slide to Better Performance and test again?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors