cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,870
Message 91 of 120

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

@spocko wrote:

The 100C limit comes from Intel, so I think the hardware is designed to handle it.

If for some reason you aren't comfortable with those temps, and if you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, then you can enable Hyper-V, which currently limits the max CPU temp to about 80C instead of 100C. I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but that's the way it currently works. Of couse your max performance will be a little bit lower along with the lower temps.

I run 2 VMWare workstation instances together to simulate Ubuntu servers, so Hyper-V was one of the first things I enabled. Having a CS background and working with high-performance servers means that I am familiar with the effects of heat on a processors life span:

@spocko

Sensitive electronics like CPUs have a finite lifespan and running them at higher temperatures shortens it. So unless you want to have an excuse to upgrade your system often, higher temperatures are counter-productive. 

Source [2014]: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-Temperature-on-Intel-CPU-Performance-606/

Source: https://superuser.com/questions/185662/cpu-usage-at-100-for-several-hours

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,809
Message 92 of 120

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

Full battery with chrome (10 tabs) running at around 36-39'c, launching screen snip pushed the temps up a little:

Webbrowser.jpg

In my opinion, the engineering team has done a good job. It does get warm when its pushed, but that's expected under load. I think it comes down to how its configured s/w wise and what the workloads are like. The problem with support forums is that people come here when they have issues with their machines or, like myself are worried about potential issues, and that makes people a little paranoid. These sentiments then tend to resound with the user/owner base.

I took a very quick shot of the flipside coming out of a cross-compile in a VM on a large code base:

CrossCompile.jpg

bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,607
Message 93 of 120

Hello ! I just received my x1 extreme, I have the bios 1.19 but the date is January and not March. I'm on Windows 10 and Ubuntu and it's really annoying I work in 3D or photoshop and even an old macbookpro doesn't ventilate as much.

If I watch a netflix video it's the same problem

I hope you will find a solution for us because they are very good machines, but in the end the user experience is ruined by noise. I just wish I could draw on photoshop in peace when my cpu is running at less than 30%...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,598
Message 94 of 120

BIOS 1.19 was released at the end of Feb 2019. It doesn't look like any system manufactured in Jan 2019 would have BIOS 1.19 by default. 

You can go to http://support.lenovo.com, download the BIOS and install it by manual (easy enough steps). 

Refer to first page of this conversaiton. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,594
Message 95 of 120

As you wish - we'll give you the option of non_nVidia - it's soon enough in couple months. 

bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,562
Message 96 of 120

Well but i need my computer for work

this is my bios version

its 1.19 its ok or i need to update ?

Thank you

bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,518
Message 97 of 120

hey I realized that if I'm on battery I feel like it's blowing less or not at all. I'm currently installing windows in a virtual machine under linux from my powerless sofa and I can't hear anything. While yesterday the same manipulation on sector and I had a lot of noise

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 1,511
Message 98 of 120

If you're on battery only I think you'll see your clock speed is greatly reduced and therefore the heat is far less and doesn't require the fan. If you want, you can check your clock with Intel's Tuning utility.

bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,506
Message 99 of 120

if you watch my cpu on the ligne " vitesse du processeur en MHZ "

bgood@bgood-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme:~$ lscpu
Architecture :                          x86_64
Mode(s) opératoire(s) des processeurs : 32-bit, 64-bit
Boutisme :                              Little Endian
Processeur(s) :                         12
Liste de processeur(s) en ligne :       0-11
Thread(s) par cœur :                    2
Cœur(s) par socket :                    6
Socket(s) :                             1
Nœud(s) NUMA :                          1
Identifiant constructeur :              GenuineIntel
Famille de processeur :                 6
Modèle :                                158
Nom de modèle :                         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Révision :                              10
Vitesse du processeur en MHz :          3317.680
Vitesse maximale du processeur en MHz : 4300,0000
Vitesse minimale du processeur en MHz : 800,0000
BogoMIPS :                              5184.00
Virtualisation :                        VT-x
Cache L1d :                             32K
Cache L1i :                             32K
Cache L2 :                              256K
Cache L3 :                              9216K
Nœud NUMA 0 de processeur(s) :          0-11
Drapaux :                               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp flush_l1d
Nom de modèle :                         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Vitesse du processeur en MHz :          2275.856
Drapaux :                               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp flush_l1d
Vitesse du processeur en MHz :          2539.477
Vitesse du processeur en MHz :          3036.490
bgood@bgood-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme:~$ 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,491
Message 100 of 120

@bgood69

You system actually manufactured in the middle of Apr, so you supposed already had the right BIOS.

And why you heard the fan noise even playing Netflix video - I guess maybe because it's a new system, and it's still updating some feature in background? This is very common on Win10 system, but you seem like run Linux which I'm not quite sure...

I would like suggest you to give it couple days, keep system up to date. If the fan noise still bothers you, can you record the system status by AIDA64 Extreme - the information of fan speed, CPU power, temp will be helpful to diagnosis the problem.

Thank you. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors