cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,878
Message 101 of 115

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

Thank you for your answers. But I have the noise of the fan, no matter if I'm on linux or windows and sometimes in idle, I've done all the windows update and lenovo updates. I'll give you a video feedback in a few days. I intend to help you to solve this problem 

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,875
Message 102 of 115

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

@bgood69

Thank you. A video will be helpful. And if you look at Page 7, Alzerha posted a snapshot of AIDA64 Extreme - this is great detail for us to understand the problem. Appreciate if you can offer the same snapshot. 

bgood69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,872
Message 103 of 115

ok i will try
ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 1,659
Message 104 of 115

@surahman wrote:

@spocko wrote:

The 100C limit comes from Intel, so I think the hardware is designed to handle it.

If for some reason you aren't comfortable with those temps, and if you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, then you can enable Hyper-V, which currently limits the max CPU temp to about 80C instead of 100C. I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but that's the way it currently works. Of couse your max performance will be a little bit lower along with the lower temps.

I run 2 VMWare workstation instances together to simulate Ubuntu servers, so Hyper-V was one of the first things I enabled. Having a CS background and working with high-performance servers means that I am familiar with the effects of heat on a processors life span:

@spocko

Sensitive electronics like CPUs have a finite lifespan and running them at higher temperatures shortens it. So unless you want to have an excuse to upgrade your system often, higher temperatures are counter-productive. 

Source [2014]: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-Temperature-on-Intel-CPU-Performance-606/

Source: https://superuser.com/questions/185662/cpu-usage-at-100-for-several-hours

That I'd love to see. Type 1 hypervisors (Hyper-V) and Type 2 hypervisors (VMware Workstation) can't run at the same time. Enabling Hyper-V will cause VMware Workstation to not work... disabling Hyper-V will allow it work, but obviously you can't use Hyper-V. So I'd love to see this in action. It would solve a lot of problems for Docker users.

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,601
Message 105 of 115

@ishraqiyun77 wrote:

@surahman

That I'd love to see. Type 1 hypervisors (Hyper-V) and Type 2 hypervisors (VMware Workstation) can't run at the same time. Enabling Hyper-V will cause VMware Workstation to not work... disabling Hyper-V will allow it work, but obviously you can't use Hyper-V. So I'd love to see this in action. It would solve a lot of problems for Docker users.

You got me; I don't have Hyper-V enabled because I don't need it. What I don't like hearing is poor advice when it concerns a rather expensive piece of h/w. What I said about the thermal degradation of silicon packages stands, and you can do your own research on the topic. Here is one of the top search results: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Being completely honest, with WSL I rarely feel the need to boot up VMWare WS because I don't need to bypass the OS to virtualize hardware and I can get access to the actual h/w GPU. I run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in WSL and have RHEL and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running in VMWare WS for compatibility testing. Your use case and requirements will vary.

I believe you should be able to run multiple WSL2 instances with Win10 May update, and there was some talk of it leveraging Hyper-V, at which point I'll retire VMWare WS.

Eason85
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,567
Message 106 of 115

Since updating to 1.23, my P1's performance gaming over eGPU is significantly poorer. I suspect the security pathches are either hurting the CPU performance or the Thunderbolt implementation. I will roll back to 1.19 and see if that addresses my sudden performance issues.

Edit: rolling back to 1.19 seems to have fixed it. Was anything changed about the handling of TB3 in the new BIOS? 

duguwu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,280
Message 107 of 115

Hi Surahman,

Can I know your room temperature when the cpu temperature were measured? My cpu runs typically at 55 C. 

42 C as posted by you is quite good.

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,235
Message 108 of 115

It's summer and now it sits closer to 50'c without the a/c running.

DroidCue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 84
Message 109 of 115

How did you downgrade to 1.19 after upgrading to 1.23? 

Notes say you cannot downgrade after upgrading to 1.23

My P1 is having power on issues after upgrading to 1.23

Out of 10-20 time I press the power button it power-on once. 

Rest of the times powers on and quickly goes off. 

Please help if you know any hack to downgrade

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 69
Message 110 of 115

@DroidCue,

Try to understand - 1 out of 10-20 times, when you press the power button, it doesn't power on? Does power LED light on then dim?

Please suggest more details, thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors