cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flyte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,328
Message 21 of 108

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

I upgraded first from 1.17 to 1.18 from Vantage, and then applied the 1.19 update and had no issues.

Initial fan noise is much better, but overall, my X1E runs quite hot, (even after repaste and a -135 undervolt). The fans still need to kick into high gear when I do anything.
Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,326
Message 22 of 108

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

well, it might depend on your actual work loading. If you keep working with continuous 30Watt CPU powre, then the fan has to spin up to cool it down. 

However if your work was dynamic laoding from 5-25 Watt, then fan should be able to stay 2200RPM. 

You can use Aida64 Extreme to track the CPU power and fan RPM, then we can figure out something. 

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 2,171
Message 23 of 108

What is dynamic loading from 5-25 watt?

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 2,151
Message 24 of 108

Is it hot enough to feel uncomfortable when having its on the laps with/without wearing a pant?

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 2,030
Message 25 of 108

Hi Henry,

I've never had an issue with a bricked BIOS on a machine I've owned but I have recovered a server board that bricked during an update. Do Lenovo machines have a BIOS recovery mode? I work with RTKernels on embedded ARM Cortex M7 microcontrollers and we have STLink and SEGGER JTAG support to access the ROM chips onboard via a jumper on the board, at which point the ROM is flashed from a designated attached USB. What recovery modes do you have? Most modern desktop boards have a jumper or backup BIOS ROM. It would seem reasonable to have a boot failsafe on the BIOS that checks for a failed flash and enters recovery mode from a protected section of the ROM.

From the report of a hung BIOS update, it sounds like a race-condition or infinite loop, something that would trigger high CPU usage to kickstart the fans. It seems like you're hoping one of the processes will give up the lock long enough to allow progress.

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,034
Message 26 of 108

Thanks for the advice, actually we don't offer end-user to recover the BIOS as typically it's a quite rare case.

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,996
Message 27 of 108

Thanks, its good to know that recovery is a rare requirement. Murphy's law is something I have come to believe in.
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,935
Message 28 of 108

Does 1.19 extends the battery life by, say 30 minutes or so?

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 1,895
Message 29 of 108

(For the sake of bringing some closure to my part in this topic...)

Well, the machine was well and truly bricked. I pulled the aftermarket data drive I had installed in it and sent it off to the Lenovo repair depot late last week. It was returned in the middle of this week with a new motherboard in it. The feedback from Lenovo is that the motherboard was faulty and so likely the root cause of the BIOS update failing--the takeaway being that my case was a unique one and not telling of any larger problem with the 1.19 update. At any rate, after the repair, I was able to run the BIOS update without an issue and all is running well enough (a little cooler and with a little less fan noise).

--Pete

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 1,875
Message 30 of 108

Thank you Henry for posting this thread.

Quick question: Is there a reason why this bios version is not being distributed via Lenovo Vantage yet? Is it just because it is not a critical update?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors