cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,508
Message 71 of 118

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

The only thing that matters is the workload; what are you doing with your machine? I'm writing, compiling and testing code. I write
multithreaded code and run tests and compiles on large code bases frequently. Ambient temps in the range of 35'c-50'c during light-medium loads. Very long running high loads can push the temperatures to 70'c.

flyte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,506
Message 72 of 118

Re: Calling P1 and X1 Extreme users to update BIOS 1.19 - fan noise much better now!

I echo Alzerha's thought - since the initial fan noise is so much better with v1.19, I too would prefer if that the fans kick in at this level earlier so that it minimizes the frequency of having the fans kick in to high gear when we hit an intensive operation. The thinking is that with the fans at 2200 RPM, it'll keep 'er cool for longer, but not really noticible. 

I would like that behavior for sure when plugged into AC, but perhaps leave as is when running off battery so that we can maximize battery life? 

Just a thought, and I would like to hear what others would think, Perhaps I can accomplish this with TPFanControl instead of having to wait for a BIOS update?

Alzerha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,491
Message 73 of 118

I'm doing nothing during my tests. 

Thats the joke...

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 1,467
Message 74 of 118

@surahman wrote:

How is everyone monitoring their fan speeds? I'm not having issues with thermals and the fans don't seem to spin up unless there any long running computationally expensive processes, but I am curious to see where fan speeds are sitting. I'm not seeing fan speeds listed in HWMonitor.

HWinfo will show a single fan speed, as well as various temps and voltages. The fan speed is in the ACPI section of the sensor page. I don't know if both fans run at the same speed, but I do know that both fans are off when the reported speed is zero, because the computer is silent.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 1,464
Message 75 of 118

@flyte wrote:

I echo Alzerha's thought - since the initial fan noise is so much better with v1.19, I too would prefer if that the fans kick in at this level earlier so that it minimizes the frequency of having the fans kick in to high gear when we hit an intensive operation. The thinking is that with the fans at 2200 RPM, it'll keep 'er cool for longer, but not really noticible. 

I will disagree. When I'm working in a quiet room, I can already hear the fans turning on periodically when the computer is mostly idle. It's not a big deal, but if anything, I'd actually prefer for them to turn on even less often.

Maybe this could be tied into the Windows power mode, so the behavior would be easily user changeable. For example, if set to "Best Battery", then favor passive cooling. If set to "Best Performance", then favor more active cooling. Maybe it already works this way, I don't know. If have noticed that when the fans are on at low speed and the computer is idle, if I change the Windows power mode then the fans usually turn off, even if I'm increasing the power mode from "best battery" to "better performance". So the power mode does seem to affect the fan control somehow.

Alzerha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,519
Message 76 of 118

I'm in a quiet room. 2200rpm IS not perfect too.

But Like a said before, it's more confortable to have a permanent fan, than have something that turn off and on each 5min in indle condition and best performance mode...

Please share your expérience and your configuration via Aida64. 

Michael_x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,452
Message 77 of 118

Using P1 on Linux. BIOS 1.19 is certainly an improvement (much quieter now), but the on/off of the fan (ca. once every two minutes when only using an editor + web + mail) is still disturbing. 

I agree with others in this forum that an always-on fan with slightly less rpm would be preferable.

(Totally quiet on low usage would be even better, but it's obviously impossible.)

--

PS: As Lenovo staff is reading here.

From the Linux point of view, the P1 is a fine machine. As a developer I wanted a lot of CPU power, a big screen (15'), a keyboard without number pad. Canidates were Dell XPS 15 and Lenovo X1e/P1. Decided for Lenovo because of keyboard and two PCIe slots for SSD.

BUT: The P1 would be even better if it were possible to get it WITHOUT Nvidia GPU. I have no need for high end graphics, I don't play games, I don't mine crypto money.

I want to connect a 4k monitor (perhaps in the future 5k), and that's it. Intel GPU would be just perfect for me.

Without Nvida GPU, the battery would last longer, the notebook would run more quiet and it would cause less PITA with linux drivers. (Switching to Intel GPU is impossible when an external monitor is connected. Even when using the notebook screen, switching the GPU is complicated in Linux.)

No other vendor is offering high end notebooks with a large screen WITHOUT Nvidia. Perhaps that's a chance for Lenovo to fill this gap and make a high-end-alternative to Dell's XPS 13.

Less (Nvidia) would be really so much more in this case.

tangreese
Punch Card
Views: 1,441
Message 78 of 118

I use my X1 Extreme with Linux. I spent a great deal of time optimizing battery consumption; the CPU frequency is limited thanks to the "cpupower" utility, and I run on Intel graphics only.
As configured, my X1 Extreme consumes, when idle or reading web pages, about 8W-9W or less (which gives me a nice 8h-9h of battery time.) The CPU temperature is usually between 38C and 58C or so, unless I am actively doing stuff. All that means my machine is quite cold to the touch, and the fan is entirely off, most of the time.
If a future BIOS update forced my fans on all the time I would be pretty upset, to say the least. There must be a cut-off level at some point, below which the fan is off. It makes no sense to cool down a cold machine.

Alzerha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,427
Message 79 of 118

I understand your point off view. Maybe Linux is better for this.

You can just check my graph. My windows in fresh new, and i'm not on the computer.

The X1E is going alone to 58°C in 5 minutes, and the fans have to spin to the first level at 2200rpm.

In battery life mode, is doing the same thing, and i really don't know why. I just can say, i'm not the only one..

Will be possible to get your computer configuration, and an graph on Aida64 in idle, or doing small stuff like web brower ?

surahman
SCSI Port
Views: 1,418
Message 80 of 118

Alzerha: I would contact tech support and request on-site to have a look at your machine. Tell them there are thermal issues and that you've posted on this board and that a Lenovo engineer asked you to contact them (this is what Henry suggested).

When the tech arrives, ask him if he can repaste the thermal compound for you - I wouldn't do this myself. Warranty issues aside, I've seen a tech having to remove the mainboard and replace the heatsink on the consumer line of notebooks and its a bit... messy. I'd order/pick up a good thermal compound and compound cleaner if the on-site service is available and have it ready for the tech. A lot of times prebuilt systems have too much thermal compound, which may not be the case for you, but if that is the issue its a quick fix.

The other thing I did was a fresh install of the OS after a BIOS update to 1.19 as soon as I got the machine - so this machine is running windows without any of the Lenovo bloat. You will need to install a bunch of drivers manually to get things running properly. I would do this before calling tech support so you can say you've already tried this solution.

As for the persistently running fan, I would like the option to be able to set this on or off manually and not have the BIOS force it on me. I prefer a quiet machine but do agree that it's better to keep it cool than having it heat up and then spinning the fans up to full tilt for a few seconds and then back down repeatedly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors