Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

53 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 1 of 2

Cameras failing with USB Device showing Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed)

2020-06-29, 14:19 PM

I have been seeing multiple X1 carbons/yogas and T-series laptops have their camera fail, and the sign is that an "Unknown Device" shows up under USB devices in Device Manager. It will say Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed).

Now I HAVE FIXED this issue on some computers by uninstalling that device in Device Manager, reinstalling the USB driver for it, then asking Device Manager to scan for changes.

But for other laptops I've done the same thing and it hasn't helped. It seems like a warranty repair is the only option.

Any other solutions people have seen for this issue? I see that the X1 Yoga camera/driver page has multiple firmware updates which could help, but the only way I've found to be able to tell what firmware a device would need is to use the Parts lookup from that same site with your serial number.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-yoga-4th-gen-type-20qf-20qg/20qg/20qgs1ru00/pf1d3qch/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Camera%20and%20Card%20Reader

It seems like with so many people using Zoom and other video conference softwares on a regular basis, maybe this is becoming more common and there is a moderately serious problem relating to how the camera is talking to the computer.

Options

57 Posts

07-15-2018

US

162 Signins

1211 Page Views

• Views: 1211
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Cameras failing with USB Device showing Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed)

2020-07-01, 0:45 AM

see my solution:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-yoga-4-gen-Camera-not-working/m-p/4538835?page=1#4539397

It is due to camera fpc not seated properly, this happens to all new generations of x1 yoga and carbon

@ rturcotte10 wrote:

I have been seeing multiple X1 carbons/yogas and T-series laptops have their camera fail, and the sign is that an "Unknown Device" shows up under USB devices in Device Manager. It will say Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed).

Now I HAVE FIXED this issue on some computers by uninstalling that device in Device Manager, reinstalling the USB driver for it, then asking Device Manager to scan for changes.

But for other laptops I've done the same thing and it hasn't helped. It seems like a warranty repair is the only option.

Any other solutions people have seen for this issue? I see that the X1 Yoga camera/driver page has multiple firmware updates which could help, but the only way I've found to be able to tell what firmware a device would need is to use the Parts lookup from that same site with your serial number.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-yoga-4th-gen-type-20qf-20qg/20qg/20qgs1ru00/pf1d3qch/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Camera%20and%20Card%20Reader

It seems like with so many people using Zoom and other video conference softwares on a regular basis, maybe this is becoming more common and there is a moderately serious problem relating to how the camera is talking to the computer.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete