Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bylund
Token Ring
Views: 1,297
Message 1 of 3

Can I downgrade the BIOS on my X201i?

Does anybody know if it is possible/advisable to "update" one's BIOS to a previous version? That is, are there additional problems involved with downgrading the BIOS than the common risks with BIOS upgrades? 

What I'm considering doing is downgrading to the version released in late June 2013, since it supposedly fixes the battery drain issue. Nobody at Lenovo apparently cares to respond to any of my queries of how it is possible that I have a newer version of the BIOS than is currently posted as the newest one (I have 1.40-1.20 installed since Oct-2012; the latest, new version posted Jun-2013 is 1.40-1.15) nor what to do about it. So I'm considering going ahead and reinstalling (overwriting) my current BIOS with the one posted on the web site: 1.40-1.15. (I'm experiencing quite severe problems with heat as well as terrible battery drain post upgrading to Win8 Pro.)

I'm no BIOS expert, so I am unaware of any risks or potential problems by downgrading one's BIOS. Perhaps there's nothing to it and amounts to the same as any BIOS upgrade/install. If so, please let me know. I'm in complete lack of reliable expertise.

Thank you!

Guru
Views: 1,274
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can I downgrade the BIOS on my X201i?

bylund wrote: (I'm experiencing quite severe problems with heat as well as terrible battery drain post upgrading to Win8 Pro.)

I'd tend to believe that your problems are related to W8 and not the BIOS version that you're running.

That being said, yes you can downgrade the BIOS and the risks are the exact same ones that are present during any BIOS upgrade.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
bylund
Token Ring
Views: 1,264
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can I downgrade the BIOS on my X201i?

I guess I am in for a clean install then.

Funny thing, TVSU suggested I install the recently posted BIOS yesterday (finally!). I did so, with no problems, and it has definitely taken care of the heating issue. I still have only about two hours battery time, however, down from almost 5 hours before upgrading from Win7Pro to Win8Pro...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors