cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 652
Message 1 of 3

Can I lower the battery charging threshold without installing Vantage?

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my X1 Extreme and everythnig works flawlessly so I'd rather not install additional software like the Lenovo Vantage.

Since the laptop is connected to my Lenovo TB3 dock most of the time, is there a way to lower the 95% battery charging threshold without using Vantage? A battery management command line tool perhaps? Also what would the ideal threshold be in my case?

Update 1: OK, I found and downloaded the Lenovo utility CargeThreshold.exe which works really well. Set the threshold to 80% and 75%.

Is there also a similar utility to check battery stat/wear and recondition/reset it?

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 580
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can I lower the battery charging threshold without installing Vantage?

Vantage feels to me more like a marketing tool than a system management tool.

I shouldn't have to dig through endless businness tips, free cyber security limited time trials, google apps sale offers and give permission to access my location, just to set my battery charging threshold 😉

Isn't there are simple command line tool similar to your ChargeThreshold.exe to reset the battery gauge once in a while? This is all I really need.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 542
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can I lower the battery charging threshold without installing Vantage?

There is nothing special about resetting the battery gauge.  All it does is charge the battery to 100%, discharge it to below 5%, and then charge to 100% again.  This sequence of events is what resets the battery internal charge data (like full charge capacity) so that the battery guage will be as accurate as possible.  If you don't want to use Vantage, you can manually do this yourself, and the result is the same.  We don't have any stand-alone tool to do it because it needs a GUI to show progress and Vantage is our GUI.  We aren't going to spend resources to develop a duplicate GUI for this.

I got your point about the unwanted marketing features of Vantage but you can turn most of that off by setting the profile as "Employee".  If there is still stuff you don't want, anything else can be disabled by using the enterprise package (google for:  Lenovo Vantage for Large Enterprise).

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors