Options

52 Posts

02-15-2019

US

304 Signins

1769 Page Views

• Views: 1769
  • Message 1 of 4

Can I lower the battery charging threshold without installing Vantage?

2019-05-13, 14:45 PM

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my X1 Extreme and everythnig works flawlessly so I'd rather not install additional software like the Lenovo Vantage.

Since the laptop is connected to my Lenovo TB3 dock most of the time, is there a way to lower the 95% battery charging threshold without using Vantage? A battery management command line tool perhaps? Also what would the ideal threshold be in my case?

Update 1: OK, I found and downloaded the Lenovo utility CargeThreshold.exe which works really well. Set the threshold to 80% and 75%.

Is there also a similar utility to check battery stat/wear and recondition/reset it?

Solved! See the solution
Options

52 Posts

02-15-2019

US

304 Signins

1769 Page Views

• Views: 1769
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I lower the battery charging threshold without installing Vantage?

2019-05-14, 16:35 PM

Vantage feels to me more like a marketing tool than a system management tool.

I shouldn't have to dig through endless businness tips, free cyber security limited time trials, google apps sale offers and give permission to access my location, just to set my battery charging threshold ?

Isn't there are simple command line tool similar to your ChargeThreshold.exe to reset the battery gauge once in a while? This is all I really need.

Options

8077 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77129 Signins

2181844 Page Views

• Views: 2181844
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-05-14, 12:34 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6350 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17603 Signins

160715 Page Views

• Views: 160715
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-05-15, 13:35 PM

There is nothing special about resetting the battery gauge.  All it does is charge the battery to 100%, discharge it to below 5%, and then charge to 100% again.  This sequence of events is what resets the battery internal charge data (like full charge capacity) so that the battery guage will be as accurate as possible.  If you don't want to use Vantage, you can manually do this yourself, and the result is the same.  We don't have any stand-alone tool to do it because it needs a GUI to show progress and Vantage is our GUI.  We aren't going to spend resources to develop a duplicate GUI for this.

I got your point about the unwanted marketing features of Vantage but you can turn most of that off by setting the profile as "Employee".  If there is still stuff you don't want, anything else can be disabled by using the enterprise package (google for:  Lenovo Vantage for Large Enterprise).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete