Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margaretC
Paper Tape
Views: 26,311
Message 1 of 10

Can't Remove Odd Icon on Desktop

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad x301 using Windows Vista Business. When I use a hot key such as the one for the screen brightness, the one for the screen light, or the mute function, I get an odd large "icon" on the desktop that will not go away. I have to turn the computer off and then turn it back on to get rid of it. The appearance of the "icon" varies depending what function it is "displaying" but it is always black and white. Help!

danf1970
Punch Card
Views: 26,377
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't Remove Odd Icon on Desktop

I know what indicators you're talking about, as I had the caps lock indicator on my Thinkpad staying on the screen so I searched for the setting.  Go to Display Settings in the Control Panel, click on Change Display Settings on left menu, then on Advanced Settings and another box comes up.  Then click the On Screen Display tab and you'll see the settings for what you're referring too, the fade out time should be set to just a few seconds so those adjustments don't remain on the screen.  You'll also see the Caps lock icon setting there also, at least that's how it is on my model. I hope this helps!

margaretC
Paper Tape
Views: 26,176
Message 3 of 10

Wow. That worked. Thank you. The Lenovo fellow I talked to didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The setting you mentioned was not set to go off at all. ... I set it to 4 seconds and it works like a charm. Thanks again danf1970!

vanila
What's DOS?
Views: 25,840
Message 4 of 10

hi there i had the exact prob too. it's tad annoying. thanks a lot for sharing, really! u're a genius!
FraserOttawa
What's DOS?
Views: 18,020
Message 5 of 10

I now have this issue on Windows 10.  Does anyone know how to get rid of it/them?

semalmquist
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,347
Message 6 of 10

I have this same issue since upgrading to Windows 10.  A black icon appears at the bottom of my desktop that looks like a light with a slash through it.  I assume it is the brightness indicator.  I went through the suggestion regarding the num and caps lock icons but those do not affect this one.  If you can help me out I'd appreciate it.  

I'm refering to the icon at the middle bottom of the desktop display.   

Odd Icon.jpg

This is a ThinkPad E420s, Windows 10

Timberline
What's DOS?
Views: 10,304
Message 7 of 10

I noticed your photo of the brush or no light icon in the middle center of the screen on my Lenovo E530. Wondering if you ever found the solution to this problem?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,297
Message 8 of 10

That icon is telling you that the ThinkLight is off.  (Whether you have one or not...)

There may be something in this thread that will help:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp04_en/page/1/thread-id/21287

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

fn3
What's DOS?
Views: 6,572
Message 9 of 10

Press Fn+Spacebar. It might turn the Thinklight on even when your Thinkpad does not have Thinklight and that will remove the icon (because the icon indicates that the Thinklight is off.)

semalmquist
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,568
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for your suggestions FN3.  Unfortunately I don't have that ThinkPad any longer.  I sold it last winter but I did get rid of that light icon -- but I don't remember now what I did.  The machine was reimaged prior to the sale so that is probably what happened to it.  

Top Kudoed Authors