Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-24-2021

Georgia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Can't enable sierra wwan modem on Linux. Appeal for help.

2021-02-24, 11:14 AM

I've spent the last three weeks trying everything I can think of to get my recently ordered Sierra Wireless MC8355 WWAN module working in Linux on my Thinkpad X220, and absolutely nothing I understand has worked. I've reached out to the Linux community on several boards first, and it seems to be a minefield very few people can or will touch.

Please. Is there an expert here that can help me to get it to work. All the basic stuff is set up (I think), such as Gobi 3000 firmware in /lib/firmware/gobi. It's detected by my laptop, so it's installed correctly. But it simply will not work. I can make a broadband connection in Network Manager, but "broadband not enabled" is greyed out.

To save every one time, here is my thread on Linux Mint Forums. It's not too long, but it covers a lot of ground of where I'm up to. Here is a link to the latest pertinent post:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1975945#p1975945

On thing that keeps nagging at me is this error, which tells me that the device is HardwareRestricted, and I can't find out what that really means or how to fix it:

Feb 22 17:24:28 a5fjj1m7 NetworkManager[1134]:   [1614000268.9219] modem-broadband[cdc-wdm1]: failed to enable modem: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.Error.Protocol.HardwareRestricted: Couldn't set operating mode: QMI protocol error (83): 'HardwareRestricted'

Thanks very much. (PS: x220 best laptop I ever owned.)

Options

3 Posts

02-24-2021

Georgia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Can't enable sierra wwan modem on Linux. Appeal for help.

2021-02-24, 12:00 PM
Thank you Andy. I'm new to these forums.
Options

901 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

361 Signins

4465 Page Views

• Views: 4465
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Can't enable sierra wwan modem on Linux. Appeal for help.

2021-02-25, 15:34 PM

Hello,

The cellular communication features require configuration of all components to be compatible, and physical location is important.

So the SIM card, WWAN card, and Cellular service provider must all three match.

So if not all three are configured for the State of Georgia with the Black Sea to the west coast, compared to the State of Georgia with the Atlantic Ocean on the east coast, and also for your cellular telephone provider, function won't work.  If you acquired devices by international shipment this might be mixed up.

Also I noticed the card designation you are working with only provides 3G networks.  Some cellular providers may not use that anymore.

For myself, I would use USB or Bluetooth option to pair my modern Motorola Power G7 cell phone to laptop and use this configuration for internet connection over cellular network.  Many authorization protocols now require the user to have both laptop and cellphone combined to type in the login authorization codes so not so much inconvenience. 

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

02-24-2021

Georgia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

Re:Can't enable sierra wwan modem on Linux. Appeal for help.

2021-02-25, 19:02 PM

Perhaps you're right. No one seems to know what I'm talking about, especially the service provider out here (magticom.ge). I could hot spot my cell phone, but I thought it was a pretty neat feature to have built in. I'm also considering trying a different module. It's detected, but for some reason I just can't enable it in modemmanager, and the documentation/instructions around the net for my scenario are virtually none existent, or so confusing I keep getting lost.

Thanks for the reply.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms