Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-04-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

11 Signins

87 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 87
  • Message 1 of 5

Can't enter PIN or click on anything when Windows 10 awakes

2021-07-22, 16:26 PM

Following the recent controversial Windows 10 update, my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen wakes up as normal but then I can't get past the Windows login screen. Typing my PIN and clicking with the mouse have no effect on the screen. The only thing I can do is a hard reset. Once I restart, everything goes back to normal until next time the laptop sleeps and wakes up, when it is likely (but not certain) I will have to perform a hard reset again. 

When the problem occurs the keyboard seems to be alive because when I press Ctrl I get the concentric circles effect generated when you have 'Show the location of pointer when I press the CTRL key' option on under Pointer Options. Most of the times the cursor is blinking in the PIN field too. Also, I can move the mouse pointer but clicking does nothing. I tried all sorts of key combinations, including Ctrl+Alt+Del but nothing happens. I noticed the right-hand side of the laptop gets extremely hot very quickly and the fan goes crazy.

I reset and tried different Windows power management settings. Windows Update and Lenovo Vantage say my system is up-to-date. Windows doesn't generate any minidump files, and Windows log files and 'Powercfg /sleepstudy' don't show anything strange to me. Any ideas please?

Options

5741 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8480 Signins

138698 Page Views

• Views: 138698
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Can't enter PIN or click on anything when Windows 10 awakes

2021-07-22, 16:32 PM

Do you mean 21H1?  How recent was the update, can you still roll back? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

8 Posts

04-04-2019

11 Signins

87 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-22, 16:55 PM

I mean "July 13, 2021—KB5004237 (OS Builds 19041.1110, 19042.1110, and 19043.1110)" which I got on 16 July. In fact, it installed itself and rebooted while I was not looking! I see I have the option to uninstall it from 'installed updates' but it was supposed to address a major security vulnerability, and I am wondering if others experience the same problem and found a solution. If all else fails, I will have to uninstall the update, get on with my life, and see what happens. 

Options

4672 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4707 Signins

54017 Page Views

• Views: 54017
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-22, 19:11 PM

Since this only happens when entering/resuming from sleep/hibernation, you might want to run a Windows Sleep Study report to see if it reveals anything useful.

1.  Right-click Start and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"  and press Enter

2.  In the PowerShell window, type:    powercfg /sleepstudy    and press Enter   

Note:  You can also run it in a Command Prompt (Admin) window.

3.  The command will save the report  C:\WINDOWS\system32\sleepstudy-report.html  which will open in a web browser for viewing the results

Best of luck,

Options

8 Posts

04-04-2019

11 Signins

87 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-07-22, 20:57 PM

@ JDGillis wrote:

2.  In the PowerShell window, type:    powercfg /sleepstudy    and press Enter   

As I say in my original post, "...and 'Powercfg /sleepstudy' don't show anything strange to me". But thanks anyway. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms