Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Xtek
Punch Card
Views: 6,538
Message 1 of 8

Can't enter the BIOS : "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable" error (ThinkPad X120e)

Hello, i am facing the trouble with my ThinkPad X120e. I have got it without HDD. The vendor claims that the machine has verified functionality and is tested. So i bought HDD separetaly and i wanted to install OS. I tried to enter the BIOS to set up the boot order but there is some sort of failure. The result is that I CAN'T ENTER THE BIOS MENU or even to boot order.

I have tried many key combinations to call up BIOS menu but without any success. If i hit on the "Esc" button right after switching on my X120e it seems that everything will go fine - there is a message "Entering BIOS Setup Utility" (pi. 1). But right after there is a first black screen (pic. 2) announcing me the list of crucial notebook components (the HDD is in this list, it means my X120e sees him). The following black screen (pic. 3) give me this error:

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM

After this error screen comes last screen (pic. 4) announcing me that "Operating System not found". And that's all.

I have tried to enter the BIOS with and without my new (blank) HDD installed but the result is the same: impossibility to call up BIOS menu.

I have found that the PXE (Preboot eXecution Environment) is a boot environment that Intel created. The PXE allows a workstation to boot up by using a network interface before it boots the operating system from the local storage devices such as the hard disk.

I do not know what it is about, if i can skip over this preboot enviroment (how?) or if it is more hardware based trouble. Many users facing this problem (error) but until now i did not find any solution. There is quite wide spectre of reasons causing this issue, from BIOS, CMOS to cable or HDD failure (but i can be quite sure that my blank new HDD does not cause this). I am also thinking about a possibility that the problem lies in original HDD that i do not have. Is X120e somehow deeper connected with original HDD and Lenovo partion on it? Is it problematic to change the HDD on X120e?

I will appreciate any help to resolve my issue!!
Thank you very much!

X120e_BIOS_error_screen_0.1.jpgX120e_BIOS_error_screen_1.1.jpgX120e_BIOS_error_screen_2.1.jpgX120e_BIOS_error_screen_3.1.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,520
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't enter the BIOS : "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable" error (ThinkPad X120e

Hello,

Try powering the system down, holding down the F1 key, and powering up.  Does this let you get into the BIOS/UEFI firmware?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Xtek
Punch Card
Views: 6,513
Message 3 of 8

Re: Can't enter the BIOS : "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable" error (ThinkPad X120e

Hello,

ok, i try to hold F1 during powering off and on and it does nothing, i see still the same screens.

I am just curious if there is some "magic" key combination to enter the BIOS. I still believe that it is not sort of hardware trouble.

I have tried to install OS from an USB flash drive. I have tried all 3 USB slots but nothing at all. But maybe i have to install OS from CDROM unit (i will try it later; i need to obtain somewhere the external CDROM unit).

And does anybody know if this notebook has switched off MBR option and relies only on GPT?

I am thinking also about BIOS update (but i can't make it at the moment because i can not boot i.e. enter the BIOS for boot order) and CMOS reset, but it needs a technician because the battery plug is under the heatsink.

Any other help, tips, tricks, tweaks?

Thanks!

p.s.: is it possible that the type of this model (TYPE 0596-2RU) is locked only for LAN boot?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,498
Message 4 of 8

Hello,

It sounds like the previous owner configured the ThinkPad X120e to first boot from the internal drive, and then from a network (PXE) connection, with the option of being able to boot from removable media, such as USB flash drives, being excluded.  This is why you are seeing the PXE network boot error when the machine fails to boot from the internal drive.

On the X120e, F1 should enter the ThinkPad Setup program on power up.  You can try using F12 to get to the Boot Menu, and from there trying to select a one-time option to boot from an attached USB flash drive.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion would be to unplug the X120e, remove the primary battery, then open the E120e up and remove the CMOS/RTC backup battery, which is a CR-2032 +3 VDC lithium coin cell in a tiny wiring harness.  Press the power button and hold it down for a few seconds several times to complete the power circuit and discharge any residual electricity in the unit, then wait 5-10 minutes or so for the CMOS/RTC memory to lose its stored settings. Then plug the CMOS/RTC backup battery back in, reassemble the X120e, insert the primary battery and AC power and start the computer.  At this point you should be warned that the computer's CMOS settings have changed, the date and time are invalid and, most importantly, be told to press a key to enter the BIOS/UEFI firmware in order to fix those problems.  At that point, you should be able to get in, set the clock, and change the boot order so as to better meet your requirements.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Xtek
Punch Card
Views: 6,490
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your answer Mr. Goretsky.

well, i have tried almost all combinations with F (including F1 and F2, and F12 for the boot order of course) together with Fn too ( Fn+F1, etc.). I have tried also some combinations for older LENOVO notebooks Ctrl+Alt+F3, Ctrl+Alt+Ins. It does nothing.

My calculation is going the way that the notebook comming from a bussiness company (i bought it without HDD) where is quite common to use boot over LAN. And because the X120e does not react on any insertion of flash disk in all USB slots and on an insertion of HDD as well i think that on first boot position (F12) there is PXE (boot over LAN). It seems that all other boot options they are denied by settings - this is also why X120e does not react on any HW insertion (USB, HDD).

Of course, it could be some other reason but i think that this might be one of all possible scenarios.

Well, it could be caused with faulty keyboard too but this occasion belongs in rare cases i guess.

But the CMOS reset is a hot tip. I thought about this from the beginning. But the problem is to get to the battery connector. It is not easily accessible as on other (older) Lenovo notebooks. I did already locate the battery, but the connector is hidden under the heatsing. So it needs to strip down the X120e. I have a manual so i will try to go through this (but maybe it is better to make this job some approved technician).

Anyway, thank you Mr. Goretsky for the procedure for the CMOS reset. It is definitely useful! I will try that when i get to the battery connector.

Thank you very much for any other tips and answers!

p.s.: Is it possible to reset CMOS with pulled out prime storage cell with some keyboard key combination together with power button pressed at once? Maybe i just dream about such easy option..

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,478
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't know of any hot key combination to reset the CMOS/RTC settings.  Because this could conceivably be a security issue in some environments, I don't think Lenovo would include such functionality in their BIOS/UEFI firmware.

The X120e's hardware maintenance manual is very detailed and should give detailed instructions on how to disassemble the unit.  I checked the https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ web site for videos, and they have ones explaining how to service the X121e, but I am unsure of how similar that model is to the X120e.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Xtek
Punch Card
Views: 6,464
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

thank you again for your answer Mr. Goretsky.

Yes, i agree. Such "magic" key combination to reset CMOS could be definitely a security issue. It will be quite unwise if notebooks disposing with such a function.

Anyway, i have got some serious news about my X120e trouble. In fact it seeems that the issue is resolved. Unbelievable!Smiley Wink The reason of all of this was the keyboard. The vendor forgot to insert the keyboard to the mainboard... So thanks to this technician for this marvelous trip with hundred written words.

The lesson from my issue is that the one must always check first the hardware connections, even it comes from respected store behung with phrases such 'tested for key functions'. Do not trust sweet glitters. Because a human error is so naturalSmiley Wink

Thanks to all for trying to help!

I think that it was not waste of time as it might seems.

Cheers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,454
Message 8 of 8

Hello,

I did not expect an unplugged keyboard ribbon cable.  Glad to hear you solved the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors