cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NosajTrah
Paper Tape
Views: 466
Message 1 of 5

Can't get wireless working on fresh install of Win7 Ultimate on x140e! Please help.

I bought this laptop used and the first thing I did was wipe the system and install Windows 7 Ultimate.  From the Lenovo site I downloaded all the drivers I will need for the install and have completed the chipset, video, audio and LAN install but I can't get the wireless install right for some reason.

To start here are the choices I have:

options.jpg

I downloaded both but neither works.  I install the first one and it does show the signal strength icon with a red x in the center and if you click on it it says there are no networks available.  I am about 3 feet from the wireless router and my other PCs, tablets, phones and Roku all see and use the network. 

I uninstalled it and installed the other and it doesn't even display a wireless signal icon, it doesn't show anything after install.

On the Lenovo x140e the F5 key has a signal icon so I assumed this is how you enable and disable the radio with the Fn+F5 combo but it doesn't do anything.

Can anyone help me get wireless working on this laptop?

Views: 453
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't get wireless working on fresh install of Win7 Ultimate on x140e! Please help.

What wireless adapter is installed into your laptop really? Have a look at the Device Manager: its name or at least Hardware ID (Details tab, Property list).

In order to wireless devices control worked, Lenovo Power Management Driver (!) and Hotkey Features Integration package should be installed.

Note, why didn't you use ThinkVantage System Update tool?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

NosajTrah
Paper Tape
Views: 451
Message 3 of 5

Re: Can't get wireless working on fresh install of Win7 Ultimate on x140e! Please help.

Just got this laptop, never had a Lenovo before and have no idea what ThinkVantage System Update tool even is?

Good news though, went into BIOS to make sure it was enable in there (it was) so I toggled it and saved and rebooted and now it works?  Why?  No idea, but it works now.

Views: 441
Message 4 of 5

ThinkVantage System Update, v.5.06

Install that tool and you'll not need to look for the drivers and Lenovo sw in the manual mode, determine whether the drivers are needed for your system etc.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

NosajTrah
Paper Tape
Views: 435
Message 5 of 5

Downloading now, thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors