cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 221
Message 1 of 2

Can the SATA3 (256GB Solid State Drive SATA3, OPAL2.0 M.2) drive be replaced by 1TB SSD Nvme easily?

Hi, I am considering a customized model of X1E. The lowest capacity is 256GB Solid State Drive SATA3, OPAL2.0 M.2. As I recall, there are two NvME slots in the X1E. Is this SATA3 SSD also occupies one of these two slots? In case I want to upgrade the SSD myself to a Samsung 970 Evo Plus, after cloning, can I just remove this SATA SSD from the slot and plut in the Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD in the same slot? Thanks.

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 185
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can the SATA3 (256GB Solid State Drive SATA3, OPAL2.0 M.2) drive be replaced by 1TB SSD Nvme eas

Hi lenovotv,

Yes the OPAL2.0 drive occupied one of the two m.2 slots. According to the Platform Specifications, both slots support SATA and NVMe drives.

2.JPG1.JPG

For your second question, generally NVMe drive works with UEFI+GPT and SATA drive can work with both BIOS+MBR and UEFI+GPT. One may need to concern about it when cloning from a SATA OS boot drive to a NVMe. But for new machine like X1E, it should be UEFI+GPT already as factory default, and you can just clone and replace the original OPAL2.0 drive with 970 EVO without problem.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors