cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phositadc
Punch Card
Views: 4,223
Message 1 of 8

Can x240 have both an M.2 SSD AND a WWAN card?

Can an X240 laptop have both an M.2 SSD and a WWAN card simultaneously installed?  Or is there only a single M.2 port such that you can only have one or the other?

Also, if you buy an X240 that comes from the factory with an SSD, is the factory SSD an M.2 SSD, or a 2.5" SATA3 SSD?

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,205
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can x240 have both an M.2 SSD AND a WWAN card?

Read the PSREF for x240 options:
SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, removable, upgradable
Double-sided M.2 SSD, via M.2 Card slot, exclusive with WWAN card
Single-sided M.2 SSD, via M.2 Card slot, exclusive with Smart Card reader

So x240 can be configured even with 3 drives simultaneously:
- 2.5" SSD or HDD
- m.2 SSD
- m.2 cache SSD

WWAN card could be installed instead of the 2nd m.2 SSD, seems PFREF has a fault, look at the HMM for confirmation.

If you purchase x240 from the shop.lenovo there is a couple conditions:
- in order to get 3rd m.2 slot and cache SSD you should choose basic model with HDD. System Expansion Slot for the cache m.2 SSD will be added automatically;
- or choose the model with 2.5" SSD. In this case you should add Smart Card Reader which could be equipped with 3rd m.2 SSD slot. But it's not all - you should find on aftermarket or purchase from Lenovo service center adapter and cable for the 3rd m.2 SSD youself. Look at x240' HMM and fru_bom file for details.

Note cache m.2 SSD from Lenovo has a small capacity, so you should replace it to your choice. The only limitation is the formfactor - it should be single-sided 22x42 mm to fit into the slot. So the nomenclature and capacity are limited.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

phositadc
Punch Card
Views: 4,188
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the info.

Is there any advantage to an m.2 SSD over a regular 2.5" SATA SSD?

Say I only need a single hard drive in the computer.  And say 128GB is enough.  Better to get a 128GB m.2 or a 128GB 2.5" SATA?

Considerations would seem to be heat, power consumption, and speed.  And I just don't know whether m.2 or 2.5" SATA is better on those factors.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,183
Message 4 of 8

the M2 SSD is more expensive per gigabyte than the regular 2.5 inch SSD. The only advantage for it, is when you want to use the 2.5 inch bay for a platter, and/or have a second ssd in the system.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
phositadc
Punch Card
Views: 4,164
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the info. So even though they are completely different size, form factor, and connection to the motherboard, you are saying that heat and power consumption differences should be negligible?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,123
Message 6 of 8

You'll not detect the differences in daily work.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,113
Message 7 of 8

heat wise, i don't think there is much differences, at least nothing more maybe 2 or 3 degrees when stressed with high throughput work. Power difference, the M2 SSD will have a slight edge, but it is in the vicinity of maybe 5 to 10 minutes of battery life max under heavy usage.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
soboutipour
Paper Tape
Views: 2,172
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

My X240 is a 20AL with 256GB SSD eDrive.

Do you mean that in terms of adding a 3rd m.2 card, I have to add a smart card reader as well?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors