Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roberto174
What's DOS?
Views: 96
Message 1 of 3

Cannot download WinPro 7 from Microsoft using product key - Thinkpad X120e

Hello,

Recently purchased a Lenovo x120e Thinkpad with  Windows Pro 7 pre-installed. I encountered a problem and wanted to reset the OS but realized I could not go back to the original installation (only to specific dates set in the recovery options).

When attempting to download WinPro7 iso file from the official Microsoft site using the Product Key on my laptop, I get the following error message:

Error: The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Does anyone know what my options are? I would like to do a clean installation from a USB drive since I don't have an optical drive. Is there a way to download the WinPro 7 iso using the product key? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 79
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot download WinPro 7 from Microsoft using product key - Thinkpad X120e

That key is an OEM key that can only be used for an OEM edition of windows 7.  If your recovery partition is not intact and you cannot produce disks via Rescue & Recovery, you need to order a recovery set from Lenovo.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Roberto174
What's DOS?
Views: 58
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cannot download WinPro 7 from Microsoft using product key - Thinkpad X120e

Rich, thanks for your reply. Can the "recovery set" be downloaded or does it have to go through the postal system? Do you know if there is any charge/fee associated with ordering the set? 

Thank You

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors