cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obie1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 692
Message 1 of 2

Cannot reset X240 to factory settings with Recovery partition / USB Recovery drive

Hello,

I just migrated my X240 OS (Win8.1) from HDD to SSD, and swapped the HDD with SSD. Everything went smooth, so instead of the 500GB HDD I now had a 500GB SSD. However, I thought it might be best to start 'fresh'and do a reset to factory settings. On the SSD (a clone of the HDD) I see all partions, including the Recovery partition. However, if I attempt to reset to factory settings, I get the message that Windows could not find the Recovery environment. I did make a recovery USB flash drive, but it doesn't help at all. Also, booting from the recovery USB drive does not work -the screen remains black when I try to boot from it.

So, even though I still have the recovery partition and though I have a recovery USB, I don't seem to be able to do a clean install.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or how I can do the reset? If my recovery partition/USB flash drive fail, can I get a Win8.1 DVD/download from Lenovo perhaps? After all, I have a legitimate Win8 version and I think I took all reasonable precautions by creating a recovery USB flash drive...

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

obie1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 667
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cannot reset X240 to factory settings with Recovery partition / USB Recovery drive

Following up on my post, I finally managed to do a clean install/reset to factory settings using my "old" HDD drive (the original drive from which I cloned to SSD) in an external casing via USB. So apparently the Recovery partition on the HDD was functional.

However, I'm still not able to make a functional Recovery USB flash drive. I already made 1 in the past, and I just re-did this, but when I try to boot from the recovery flash drive, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. I noticed during creation of the Recovery flash drive, that I cannot select the option to copy the contents of the Recovery Partion to the flash drive. That's why the size is so small I guess: only a few hundred MB whereas the flash drive is 32GB in size. I presume this is the reason I cannot use/boot from the Recovery USB flash drive.

Does anyone know why I can't create a proper USB Recovery flash drive?

All help is appreciated!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors