cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obie1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 671
Message 1 of 2

Cannot reset X240 to factory settings with Recovery partition / USB Recovery drive

Hello,

I just migrated my X240 OS (Win8.1) from HDD to SSD, and swapped the HDD with SSD. Everything went smooth, so instead of the 500GB HDD I now had a 500GB SSD. However, I thought it might be best to start 'fresh'and do a reset to factory settings. On the SSD (a clone of the HDD) I see all partions, including the Recovery partition. However, if I attempt to reset to factory settings, I get the message that Windows could not find the Recovery environment. I did make a recovery USB flash drive, but it doesn't help at all. Also, booting from the recovery USB drive does not work -the screen remains black when I try to boot from it.

So, even though I still have the recovery partition and though I have a recovery USB, I don't seem to be able to do a clean install.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or how I can do the reset? If my recovery partition/USB flash drive fail, can I get a Win8.1 DVD/download from Lenovo perhaps? After all, I have a legitimate Win8 version and I think I took all reasonable precautions by creating a recovery USB flash drive...

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

obie1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 646
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cannot reset X240 to factory settings with Recovery partition / USB Recovery drive

Following up on my post, I finally managed to do a clean install/reset to factory settings using my "old" HDD drive (the original drive from which I cloned to SSD) in an external casing via USB. So apparently the Recovery partition on the HDD was functional.

However, I'm still not able to make a functional Recovery USB flash drive. I already made 1 in the past, and I just re-did this, but when I try to boot from the recovery flash drive, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. I noticed during creation of the Recovery flash drive, that I cannot select the option to copy the contents of the Recovery Partion to the flash drive. That's why the size is so small I guess: only a few hundred MB whereas the flash drive is 32GB in size. I presume this is the reason I cannot use/boot from the Recovery USB flash drive.

Does anyone know why I can't create a proper USB Recovery flash drive?

All help is appreciated!

Top Kudoed Authors