kevinspan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 723
Message 1 of 8

Cannot use keyboard to enter bios password when connected to thunderbolt 3 dock

x1 yoga 2nd gen notebook.

product # 20JDA01UAU

All latest system updates installed.

I have created a disk password in the bios for security purposes. This works fine, except that when the laptop is docked, I cannot use an external  usb keyboard to enter in the bios password at all..

If I do not have a disk password, I can use the keyboard in this configuration to enter and manage the bios itself.

Everything else works fine in this configuration when using Windows 10 Pro.

How do I overcome this?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 665
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cannot use keyboard to enter bios password when connected to thunderbolt 3 dock

Dear customer,

In order to use the USB Keyboard attached to Thunderbolt3 dock for HDD password input at boot,

1. Update the BIOS to v1.26 (N1NET39W) or later version  ( the latest version )

2. Update the Thunderbolt software to 17.3.73.350 or later version ( the latest version )

3. Update the Thundervolt Firmware to NVM 26 or higher ( the lates tversion ).

4. Goto BIOS Setup -> Config -> Thunderbolt3 -> Support in Pre Boot Environment:  "Thunderbolt device"  option to be selected as "Pre-Boot ACL"

I believe above actions will solve your issue.

kevinspan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 641
Message 3 of 8

Re: Cannot use keyboard to enter bios password when connected to thunderbolt 3 dock

Unfortunately, this did not work.

all softawre , versions, etc are on lateste and I stil could net enter a password on a usb connected keyboard.to thunderbolt device.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 623
Message 4 of 8

Dear customer,

you wrote below comment:

>If I do not have a disk password, I can use the keyboard in this configuration to enter and manage the bios itself.

Does this mean you can enter Power on Password or Supervisor Passwpord at POST by usb keyboad when you didn't set up the HDD Password?

kevinspan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 582
Message 5 of 8

th eonly password i had created in thebios was the disk password

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 544
Message 6 of 8

Dear customer,

Can you describe your usage scenario?

I tried to do below steps but I couldn't.   (I used BIOS v1.29, Thunderbolt SW 17.3.73.350, NVM Firmware 27.00 )

1. Attach the Thunderbolt3 Dock, USB keyboad and go into BIOS Setup to set HDD password
  2. Press F10 to Save & Exit BIOS Setup
  3. HDD Password prompt, I can type HDD password from USB keyboard.
  4. Boot to Windows, keep attaching Thunderbolt3 dock and select Shutdown from menu
  5. Wait for the system shutdown, after shutdown complete, press powere button on Thunderbolt3 dock to boot
  6. HDD password promt appears, I can type HDD password from USB keyboard.

However, when I remove the Thunderbolt3 dock at step 4, then shutdown, reattach the Thunderbolt3 dock at step 5, I sometimes cannot enter HDD password at step 6.

kevinspan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 539
Message 7 of 8

The usage scenario is I want to enable security on the laptop

the security i was considernig using was disk bios password (so that even if the disk drive was stolen it would be protected)

I want this security whether the laptop is docked or not

If i enable this password - all works as normal (if I dont use the dock)

In the dock, I am using a usb attached keyboard / mouse 

when I power cycle the laptop when connected to the dock - I am prompted by the bios for the disk password (as expected)

BUT:

the bios does not recognise any input from the usb kb or mouse that are connected to the dock.

I have to disconnect from the dock, open teh laptop and use the laptop embedded keyboard to enter the bios disk password

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 522
Message 8 of 8

Dear customer,

I'm trying to duplicate your symptom on my desk, I'd like you to clarify below

- BIOS version, Thunderbolt SW version, Thunderbolt FW NVM version?

- How do you connect Thunderbolt dock to your system, dock is always connected from power on to shutdown, or you would
   disconnect the dock before shutdown?  As you can understnd by reading my previous post, I cannot duplicate your symptom

when I always connect the dock.

- In case you always connect the dock, I want to know how do you create the symptom step by step instruction starting from  BIOS Setup.

[How to check the Thunderbolt driver version and FW level]

- Boot to Windows

- Click "Show hidden icons" at Task bar by clicking "^" icon

- Right click the Thunderbolt Software icon

- Select "About"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors