Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkb-texas
Serial Port
Views: 1,199
Message 1 of 13

Caps lock indicator no longer appears

Hi,

I am bewildered by this - all of a sudden, at some point during my work today - the caps lock indicator is no longer showing on the screen (which I had it configured to do since there is no light on the keyboard <different rant>). Now I can't remember where I set that!

I saw online somewhere that I should go to Control Panel / Display / Screen Resolution (of all the STUPID places) / Advanced Settings / On Screen Display. I have no such tab. I have a tab called Screen Configurations, but all it has is Foreground color, Background color, and Fadeout time, and a check box for Enable on-screen display, which is CHECKED.

None of the other tabs have anything related to the caps lock (and num lock) notifications being on the screen.

BTW: It also does not even BRIEFLY appear when I hit the caps lock...

Anyone know what's going on? It will be really stupid if I have to reboot to fix this! I've made no changes today. Except I had to kill a "maintenance in process" that ground me to a halt - just like yesterday. I have this set to go at 1 AM but for some reason both today and yesterday, it is doing it in the middle of the day while I am actively working on my machine.

p.s. I am on windows 8.1

kkb-texas
Serial Port
Views: 1,146
Message 2 of 13

Re: Caps lock indicator no longer appears

Anyone? It's still happening...

bjb2
Paper Tape
Views: 941
Message 3 of 13

I have the same problem and can't find a solution/way to get the indicator back. I believe it disappeared after the last Win 10 update, as near as I can tell. Very frustrating. And I do not want use the sound option as the alternative!

kkb-texas
Serial Port
Views: 922
Message 4 of 13

I did get it to come back, but I don't remember how. I'll think about it and let you know what I remember. FYI: I'm on Win 8.1.

bjb2
Paper Tape
Views: 914
Message 5 of 13

Thanks! I've done many of the things that people suggest in the forum, and also the steps advised on the Lenovo support page, to no avail. I suppose it's a relatively minor thing but still very annoying!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 872
Message 6 of 13

In the latest Windows 10, the OSD settings to switch the on-screen caps lock indicator on and off can be found in Lenovo Settings>Display under More: "Click here to access the Display properties window". 

NewOSDControls.JPG

This assumes you have the latest Hotkey Features and Lenovo Power Managment Driver installed.

The caps lock OSD settings do not appear on my machines which have indicator LED's built into the CapsLock key.

Hope this helps someone out there!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
bjb2
Paper Tape
Views: 867
Message 7 of 13

How can I tell if I have the Hotkey features and the Lenovo Power Management Driver installed?
kkb-texas
Serial Port
Views: 853
Message 8 of 13

Oh yeah. I noticed yesterday that it is gone again. ARGHHHHHH! I am on Win 8.1 - anyone know how to fix?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 845
Message 9 of 13

Run Lenovo Companion>System Update to make sure Hotkey Features and Lenovo Power Management Driver are up-to-date. Or download and install them manually from the support site.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
bjb2
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 10 of 13

Thanks, that worked great! I haven't used Lenovo Companion before this, didn't realize the many helpful functions that are there!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors