Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-13-2021

Austria

5 Signins

60 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎04-13-2021
  • Location: Austria
  • Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 8

Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 15:05 PM

Dear all,

 

We have been having persistent issues with a batch of Carbons 8th Gen attempting to boot from PXE randomly on both start and restart.

We have fiddled with all the boot options including removing PXE as boot option, which the devices ignore and still then try to boot from PXE. Also we have set the UEFI config to default and such, but no luck.

 

We have also contacted Lenovo support and they said that we should disable Bitlocker (which is a bit ridiculous and we cannot allow permanently of course) and wait for the BIOS update. The update came indeed and nothing has changed.

Has anyone had this experience before?

 

Thank you in advance!

Luka

Reply
Options

6469 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658028 Page Views

  • Posts: 6469
  • Registered: ‎06-27-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 1658028
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 15:45 PM

@ Giostra wrote:

Dear all,

 

We have been having persistent issues with a batch of Carbons 8th Gen attempting to boot from PXE randomly on both start and restart.

We have fiddled with all the boot options including removing PXE as boot option, which the devices ignore and still then try to boot from PXE. Also we have set the UEFI config to default and such, but no luck.

 

We have also contacted Lenovo support and they said that we should disable Bitlocker (which is a bit ridiculous and we cannot allow permanently of course) and wait for the BIOS update. The update came indeed and nothing has changed.

Has anyone had this experience before?

 

Thank you in advance!

Luka

 

 

Good day.

 

Do you still see an actual physical drive in the boot list?

 

Regards.


Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Reply
Options

4 Posts

04-13-2021

Austria

5 Signins

60 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎04-13-2021
  • Location: Austria
  • Views: 60
  • Message 3 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 16:11 PM

Hi,

No we move the PXE "device" to the "Excluded from Boot Priority Order" and it stays there, but it's as if the devices are ignoring this.


Thank you in advance!
Luka

Reply
Options

6469 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658028 Page Views

  • Posts: 6469
  • Registered: ‎06-27-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 1658028
  • Message 4 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 16:24 PM

@ Giostra wrote:

Hi,

No we move the PXE "device" to the "Excluded from Boot Priority Order" and it stays there, but it' as if the devices are ignoring this.


Thank you in advance!
Luka

 

 

"PXE" is not a local storage device.
Do you see any indication of a physical storage device (drive) in the boot order/choice listing?

 

Regards.


Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Reply
Options

4 Posts

04-13-2021

Austria

5 Signins

60 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎04-13-2021
  • Location: Austria
  • Views: 60
  • Message 5 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 16:30 PM

Hi,

Yes sorry did not interpret your message correctly.

Yes there are all the usual devices, from local disk to USB and so on, which work perfectly fine in general.

 

Kind regards,

Luka

Reply
Options

6469 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658028 Page Views

  • Posts: 6469
  • Registered: ‎06-27-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 1658028
  • Message 6 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 16:33 PM

@ Giostra wrote:

Hi,

Yes sorry did not interpret your message correctly.

Yes there are all the usual devices, from local disk to USB and so on, which work perfectly fine in general.

 

Kind regards,

Luka

 

 

OK.

Later today I will boot into my X1C8 UEFI/BIOS to poke around a bit. If I come across anything interesting, I will post back. In the meantime, other community members may stop by to offer their guidance/experience.

 

Regards.


Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Reply
Options

4 Posts

04-13-2021

Austria

5 Signins

60 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎04-13-2021
  • Location: Austria
  • Views: 60
  • Message 7 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-13, 16:36 PM

Dear NateS, thanks a lot. In general the boot does work, but only after the device fails PXE. The funny part is that for a while we did have WDS server running that would answer and then it would get caught in that. I am really unsure on what the root cause might be.Thank you!Luka

Reply
Options

424 Posts

03-03-2017

Japan

1430 Signins

12888 Page Views

  • Posts: 424
  • Registered: ‎03-03-2017
  • Location: Japan
  • Views: 12888
  • Message 8 of 8

Re:Carbon 8th Gen keeps trying to boot from PXE over IPv4

2021-04-16, 3:05 AM

Dear customer,

I'm sorry about your boot trouble.

In order to report your symptom, can you take a picture of "BIOS Setup -> Startup" and  "BIOS Setup ->Startup -> Boot" pages to show your boot related setting?

Also, can you try to change the "Network Boot" setting at Startup from "PXE Boot" to actual boot media (this must be "NVMe0") ? 

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms