cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmahmoud
Paper Tape
Views: 1,050
Message 1 of 6

Carbon X1 - 4th Gen : BIOS Black Screen + System Security: Bottom Cover Tamper Detected

First off - warranty is out apparently.  Even though I remember checking the box for a 2 year extension, I am now being told I didn't and that I am SOL.  So that's one thing I'll deal with later...

When trying to access the BIOS, I would only see a black screen.  I tried hooking an external monitor up to it, nothing, the monitor doesnt register until after the initial boot sequence. I then figured something must be up with the BIOS.  Went to Lenovo.com and found the updates, updated the BIOS along with everything else.  Still broken.   

So I opened the bottom, disconnected the battery and the CMOS battery, held down the reset button on the motherboard for 10-15 seconds, did the same for the power button.  Put it all back together.  Hit the power button, see the Lenovo logo and then:

System Security:  Bottom Cover Tamper Detected

So now I am assuming it is asking for the password and the date, but the screen is blank.  

I am now left with a completely bricked computer.  Whats even more awesome is that I noticed this when I was trying to fix the suddenly inoperable fingerprint scanner, tried updating the drivers/uninstalling/reinstalling/etc, then I was going into the BIOS to make sure it was setup properly in there....and thats when I noticied the BIOS only provided a black screen. 

The diagnostics screen did work before I opened the bottom cover, I ran a full diagnostic on everything anf found no problems.  

Except obviously there is a problem as my system is bricked.  Any help would be SUPER appreciated. Lenovo's own "customer support" was less than helpful.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,023
Message 2 of 6

Re: Carbon X1 - 4th Gen : BIOS Black Screen + System Security: Bottom Cover Tamper Detected

I would be hoping to get into the BIOS to try hitting F9 to load defaults.  (hoping for a miracle)  I assume you are getting a screen that says something like need to set date and time.  Hit F1 to enter the BIOS. So, I would hit F1, then enter my BIOS passrord, then F9, then F10 (save).

You can also try getting the external to work by hitting Fn-F7 or just F7 if Fn is the default.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
wmahmoud
Paper Tape
Views: 1,019
Message 3 of 6

Re: Carbon X1 - 4th Gen : BIOS Black Screen + System Security: Bottom Cover Tamper Detected

That was my initial idea as well, but I need to get past whatever screen is there after you hit Escape for the:

System Security - Bottom cover tamper detected
Press Esc to Continue

I'll have to find some screen shots for that to have a chance, at the least.

Not looking forward to footing the bill for a new motherboard if this is bricked and my original order somehow doesn't contain the warranty.....

Nothing like an 18 month old $2000 paperweight to really kick off the weekend!
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 995
Message 4 of 6

Dear customer,

I had not clearly understand what is your issue is.  To clarify the issue, I'd like you to answer below questions.

Q1. What do you mean "black screen" even you can update the BIOS ?  Do you mean you cannot enter BIOS Setup even you hit the F1 key during Lenovo logo ?

Q2. When "Bottom Cover Tamper Detected" displayed and hit the ESC key, do you see the password icon similar like below image at upper left corner of the LCD panel?

password_icon.jpg

Q3. The "Bottom Cover Tamper Detected" message is displayed only when 1)Supervisor password is set and 2)BIOS Setup -> Security -> Internal Device Access -> Bottom Cover Tamper Detection is set "Enabled". Did you enter Supervisor password after hit the ESC key ?

Q4: Have you set up the supervisor password by yourself or your companie's IT guy to set up?

wmahmoud
Paper Tape
Views: 988
Message 5 of 6

1.) By black screen I mean that when I hit enter to interrupt the normal startup process, I see the menu for F1 for settings, Etc etc. If I hit F1, I see nothing. Screen is black, no text whatsoever. I can access all other features within the startup interrupt without issue. I can update the BIOS because I can use the Lenovo bridge to do it automatically. 

2.) When I hit Esc I see nothing , the screen is powered up but black, same as BIOS

3.) I have entered the password and hit enter. I have also waited times that varied from 10-200 seconds before entering any characters.

4.) It is a personal laptop, not businesses. I had set it up on my own and enabled the security to protect the code I had written on the unit.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 959
Message 6 of 6

Dear customer,

I under your "Black Screen" symptom.  You cannot enter BIOS Setup instead you got black screen.

I assume you can boot to Windows now, can I know the current BIOS and ECFW version you are using on your system?

Top Kudoed Authors