06-12-2008

US

14 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 1 of 3

Carbon X1 (5th Gen) HDMI not working consistently with HD projector

2018-02-03, 15:55 PM

I have a new Carbon X1 (5th Gen), fully patched Windows 10 64 bit, trying to connect to a 1080p HDMI projector. When I connect the HDMI cable to the port, the OS recognizes that there is a second screen, but I'm usually not able to get anything to appear on the projection screen--usually just "no signal" although once or twice I've had something from the laptop display externally (no apparent cause/reproducibility).

I have a similarly configured Carbon X1 (3rd Gen) that works completely fine with the HDMI output, using the same HDMI cable, projector, resolution settings, etc. So that presumably would rule out any problem with the cable or projector system. Both the 5th Gen and 3rd Gen are configured to use the native 1080p resolution of the external display, but as noted the 5th Gen almost never works.

I've also tried unplugging the USB-C and any other monitors from the 5th Gen to see if that makes a difference; also trying to different modes--second screen only, duplicate displays, extend displays--and none of these help either.

Any suggestions for how to further troubleshoot or narrow down why the 5th Gen Carbon isn't able to get the signal through to the projector?

Options

10 Posts

04-11-2017

DK

21 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Carbon X1 (5th Gen) HDMI not working consistently with HD projector

2018-02-12, 10:33 AM

Did you ever find a solution to this problem mate?

We have three 5th gen X1 Carbons 20HR, all having the same issue. Connecting the cable to another X1 - and any other pc for that matter, works like a charm. The only way i can make it work, is changing the cable to a hybrid hdmi cable, but since the 5th gen is the only machine with that issue, its a lot of work with the way the cable is positioned. Prolly 2h for two guys.

Options

12 Posts

06-12-2008

US

14 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Carbon X1 (5th Gen) HDMI not working consistently with HD projector

2018-02-12, 13:47 PM
In my particular case, I've made some progress: dropping the refresh rate on the external display using the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel seems to fix this issue for the projector. I have trouble getting it to stick, however, and the machine is hard to use when the HDMI is connected but not working properly. Still, it seems at least in my case refresh rate is a workaround if not a true fix of whatever the underlying issue is.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete