Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J3000
Paper Tape
Views: 13,440
Message 1 of 34

Carbon X1 Gen3 SSD questions

Im a new to this board and forst would like to say hi all!

Im looking to order the Gen3 Carbon X1 in the next couple of days. Im little worried and confused about the ssd situation on it. The model Im looking at comes with the 256gb installed, which is not even close to the space I need.

So Im looking at 512gb options from eBay. Ssd's are very expensive here, eBay or similar is the only viable option for me. What specs exactly work for the gen3? I gathered it supports two different standards?

Also, can it really be, that we cant take the WWAN m.2 slot and put another ssd there? Has someone thoroughly tested this?

Thank you...

semy1966
Token Ring
Views: 13,435
Message 2 of 34

Betreff: Carbon X1 Gen3 SSD questions

SSD on the WWAN m.2 will not work...First, the WWAN M.2 slot in the X1 Gen3 is single-sided only (insufficient height for M.2 cards with chips on both sides), and second, it apparently doesn't have SATA lanes routed to the slot.

The M.2 slot in the X1 Carbon Gen 3 uses M.2 SSDs of length 80mm and supports the following interfaces:

PCIe 2.0 4x (faster)
SATAIII

The PCIe 512GB SSD in it is a Samsung MZHPV512HDGL-000L  and in synthetic benchmarks it scores 2.5x higher than the SATAIII Samsung 840Pro...

price difference is around 100 dollars for this one with the almost identical data...

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/thinkpad-x1-carbon-%282015%29/CT7007540

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//thinkpad-x1-carbon-%282015%29

Best regards...

fdeutschmann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,401
Message 3 of 34

Re: Carbon X1 Gen3 SSD questions

Thoroughly tested, and definitely doesn't work - even a single-sided SSD card won't work in the WWAN slot.

For the primary M.2 2280 slot, I got a Samsung XP941 (~$450 if you look around) and used the recovery disks to install the system image on the new drive.  (Before swapping the M.2 sticks, make a recovery disk on a USB drive.)  This route is a lot less expensive than configuring an X1 with the PCIe M.2 from the factory (which is a Samsung SM951 - only available via OEM channels right now).  The XP941 is claimed to be significantly slower, but I don't see a difference (and I have tested the SM951).  Note that a lot of literature on the web claims that the SM951 is an NVMe device, but this is incorrect: Samsung is not yet shipping these with NVMe firmware; they are still using AHCI drivers.  At some point in the future, Samsung *might* update the firmware to run NVMe mode, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  The XP941 does use about 20% less power than the SM951, which is a very positive point.

The XP941 is blazing fast with a sequential read speed in the realm of ~1.2 GB/s (yes GB/s)!  It's fast enough that you can run with a very large paging file and let the system page memory; I readily support 4+ virtual machines (with 48 GB aggregate memory, greatly overcommiting the system 8 GB) on my X1 Gen3.

-frank

semy1966
Token Ring
Views: 13,398
Message 4 of 34

Bravo Frank....Best regards.....from Germany...Semy
fdeutschmann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,388
Message 5 of 34

Thanks Semy

Just to add one more detail: the SM951 (Lenovo OEM device for the X1 Gen3) is a PCIe Gen3 part, while the XP941 (readily available consumer upgrade part) is a PCIe Gen2 part; this is currently the only difference between the two devices.  The SM951 burns approximately 20% more power than the XP941, but offers more performance per Watt - though this performance gain is unavailable on a slower Gen2 PCIe bus: the SM951 offers similar performance at a 20% power increase when running on a Gen2 PCIe bus, compared to the XP941.

As the X1 Gen3 has a PCIe Gen2 bus, there is no performance benefit to going with the SM951.

Samsung says they will offer NVMe-based SM951 devices at some point, but no word if they are going to provide firmware upgrades to existing SM951 devices.  (My bet is not, as they are saying the NVMe devices will get a new SKU.)  NVMe will offer some additional performance and improved power management even when running on a Gen2 PCIe system, but these devices are not yet available, not even in the OEM / sample channels.

-frank

thinkpads-rule
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,381
Message 6 of 34

@fdeutschmann wrote:

This route is a lot less expensive than configuring an X1 with the PCIe M.2 from the factory

I'm not so sure about that. I happened to place an order for an X1 Carbon today. This is what I had to pay extra for the 512 GB drive over the 256 GB one:

2015-03-23_1906.png

There was a 10% discount until today (eCoupon: SPRINGSALES), which brings the difference down to 260 euros. I personally preferred to pay that rather than go through the hassle of hunting the similar OEM drive and installing it myself.

thinkpads-rule
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,377
Message 7 of 34

@J3000 wrote:

Im looking to order the Gen3 Carbon X1 in the next couple of days.

Tiedoksi (in case you haven't noticed): Lenovo has a 10% discount on orders placed via shop.lenovo.com. It ends today:

2015-03-23_1914.png

I ordered mine today Smiley Happy

semy1966
Token Ring
Views: 13,370
Message 8 of 34

You are Welcome...Frank....
J3000
Paper Tape
Views: 13,336
Message 9 of 34

Thank you for all the reply's. The Crucial 512gb is of course! our of stock in the EU http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/thinkpad-x1-carbon-%282015%29/CT7007540

Around 250€ is something I anticipated I have to pay for the 512gb upgrade. Which is cheaper than getting it pre-installed as this way you have the 256gb drive to sell Smiley Wink Probably get around 100€ back from that.

Nice to see a fellow finn here thinkpads-rule Smiley Happy I dont mind changing the ssd myself, its nothing. To give some perspective I just changed a friends iPhone 5c screen last Saturday. That was little more of a hassle. Especially because there were few parts that were glued to the screen and needed to be taken off in one piece and used again. She's happy that her phone is back working and cost only 65€ Smiley Wink

Anyway, its a real shame that the wwan slot cant be used for secondary hdd. 512gb hd-space is quite low really, I would be much happier with separate system drive. Well see how difficult it it will be to adjust to limited space available!

BTW, can the wwan's m.2 used for anything else? I really dont have use for wwan as I dont have secondary sim-card and just tether when on the road. Also I gathered that if your model does not have the wwan option installed from the getgo, the antennas are not present and upgrading it then needs the whole antenna setup, which of course is a fairly big task!

thinkpads-rule
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,325
Message 10 of 34

@J3000 wrote:

Thank you for all the reply's. The Crucial 512gb is of course! our of stock in the EU http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/thinkpad-x1-carbon-%282015%29/CT7007540

Around 250€ is something I anticipated I have to pay for the 512gb upgrade. Which is cheaper than getting it pre-installed as this way you have the 256gb drive to sell Smiley Wink Probably get around 100€ back from that. 

Actually, the Crucial drive and the original Samsung are not exactly the same: 1) Samsung is slightly bigger (512 vs. 500 GB, though you can never be sure what the actual usable capacity is), and 2) Samsung is PCIe, whereas Crucial is SATA. Of course the small difference in size and speed may not be worth the 100 euros you expect to get from selling the no longer needed 256 GB drive. Though I'm not sure how much of a market there is for such an aftersale 256 GB SATA M2 SSD (users of laptops that can accommodate such drives tend to be businesses and they probably would get such drives right away rather than in the aftermarket). Anyway, good luck sourcing the Crucial and selling the 256 GB drive!

PS: I have a Nexus 4 with a broken display (the phone itself still works). If you'd be interested to install a new display assembly for me (again a reasonable fee, of course), I'd be game for it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors