Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steinrr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 621
Message 1 of 11

Carbon X1 - Sierra Wireless breaks tcp/ip and no drivers available

I have a Carbon X1 (20HQ), with a Sierra Wireless cellular card.

This card has the tendency to somehow "temporarily destroy" the tcp/ip stack on my laptop, and I have to restart to be able to get connected to the network again (even wifi). What happens is that I use the cellular, and when I am finished using it, I disconnect normally. The next time I use it, it will connect - and say it is connected - but there are no Internet or other network access. Not possible to ping ip-addresses or domain. Wifi will not work either now, and the only help is to restart the pc. I've tried a lot to avoid restarting; network troubleshooter, ipconfig release/renews/flushdns, disabling/enabling the adapter, various commands related to the network device - but the only fix is to restart the pc - which is a pain. I've tried disabling all the power management, sleep of the device also, but no help. The issue does not always happen, but often enough - and many times in customer meetings - which is very troublesome.

I find these in the event log, which I think is related:

"Miniport Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A, {7afa6e46-4c68-4304-981d-8f4c1b5d6f76}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error"

Normally such situations are resolved by updating drivers, but it seems that Windows is forcing its own drivers for this device. It uses some generic drivers issued by Microsoft - and not Sierra drivers.

s1.PNG

s2.PNG

There are no drivers available for the card on Lenovo pages for this pc, and the drivers that I download directly from Sierra web pages "are not used" even if I have installed them. If I manually say "Update driver" and "Browse my computer for driver software" and point to the Sierra drivers that I downloaded, Windows says that "The best drivers for your device is already installed" and displays "Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter". I have even tried to "Have disk" and forced the Sierra drivers, but the device will not work at all then.

Some questions:

1. Anyone knowing whats going on here with regards to the drivers? Anyone found drivers that will actually replace the Windows generic ones?

2. Anyone having experienced the same issue as me with regards to having to restart the pc to get network working again?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 599
Message 2 of 11

Re: Carbon X1 - Sierra Wireless breaks tcp/ip and no drivers available

A Sierra's drivers package from Lenovo for em7455 is stored on the support site:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Normally it should be downloaded and installed via Lenovo Vantage or Lenovo System Update apps. Or DIY.

Regarding the issue I don't remember the same complaint. The issue might be caused by the modem firmware either. Check it out. If it's outdated, the drivers installer should force to update it, do not rush to reboot the laptop during the fw update, about 10..15 minuts. Keep watch over device manager while em7455 devices disappear and appear during the process.

Sierra's generic drivers from its site can't be applyed on Lenovo branded em7455 wwan modem as they have different device IDs.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

steinrr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 595
Message 3 of 11

I did already try this package, and retried it now - and it installs fine, but Windows refuses to use these drivers...

It insists on using the generic driver. If I try to force using the .inf-files directly it says that they are incompatible with this device. The HW id seems not to match with the drivers somehow.

Also something strange:

If I go to the support page of my specifi pc on lenovo.com, and lists the drivers available for the different categories, it will only show an Ericsson driver for WWAN - not the Sierra one that was in this link.  I also don't get drivers for the card from System Update. If I choose another X1 Carbon model - it shows Sierra drivers. Can this be related somehow to this issue?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 591
Message 4 of 11

Windows 10 built-in mobile broadband drivers (MBIM drivers) are enough to establish network connections. Manufacturer's drivers are needed for fw update, for instance. Or to expand additional virtual devices wwan card related for its more precise management via AT terminal or for specific network protocol and service settings. Or to use some connection manager, from Sierra including etc.

Have a look at wwan card device IDs and provide them:
- double click on em7455 network adapter in Device Manager, Details tab, Option list, Hardware ID item (the 3rd one from the top). The values will be at the field below.

> If I go to the support page of my specifi pc on lenovo.com, and lists the drivers available for the different categories, it will only show an Ericsson driver for WWAN - not the Sierra one that was in this link.

This is very strange indeed as your laptop hasn't to support Ericsson wwan modems. What language of the support site do you use (top right angle on the page)? There might be some error depending on the site localization. In English the home support page is there:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

steinrr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 588
Message 5 of 11

The listed HW IDs are:

USB\VID_1199&PID_9079&REV_0006&MI_0c

USB\VID_1199&PID_9079&MI_0c

"Bus reported device description" is:

"Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A"

I am using the support site in English, so that should be correct. When I follow your link, I get to the correct page which lists those drivers. And now whenever I try my initial way to list the drivers I get to the correct page. Probably some cookies set or something. But it anyway gets me the same drivers - that are not used...

My pc type is 20HQ-S06K00.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 579
Message 6 of 11

The wwan modem IDs match Lenovo branded em7455 device.

I've investigated a bit the modem package. According to its installation file it includes the drivers for virtual serial ports only - NMEA, Diagnostic, AT. Some time ago the Sierra's drivers package has been repacked as well its content. The drivers for network interface in MBIM mode is missing in the recent package as it's used from the OS, you made sure for that. MI_0c index in the device ID means it's a network interface in MBIM mode exactly. So, I'd trust the OS's built-in drivers. Or you can download and install a bit older drivers for em7455, at least to check out possible issue source.

But firstly I'd verify the modem's firmware as the recent package provides its new enough update, v.SWI9X30C_02.28.00.00. There are also cellular operators related images (shortly - settings profiles) for a lot of operators, in the USA operated including. This might cause your issue as well. To get modem's current fw version execute the following command in the command prompt window (cmd):
netsh mbn sh int

There will also be home service provider name. Provide them here.

In order to determine whether the drivers package has been installed have a look at the OS service list and programs installed list. There should be Sierra's related entries, in particular, the fw update service.

steinrr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 555
Message 7 of 11

Thank you for your thorough answer and effort! I undestand now that it is correct that Windows drivers are used.

But the issue with the instability and "crashing of tcp/ip stack" remains. But I guess that there are no new drivers that can help me with this issue.

I see from the command output and the list here that I have the newest FW:

https://www.sierrawireless.com/sitecore/content/developer-zone/resources/airprime/minicard/74xx/airp...

Command output:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh mbn sh int

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Cellular
Description : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A
GUID : {A644B058-2CB2-4F6F-A0C3-D63DC540682D}
Physical Address : 90:99:8b:53:52:5b
Additional PDP Context : No (Physical interface)
Parent Interface Guid : No parent
State : Connected
Device type : This is a remote device
Cellular class : GSM
Device Id : [skipped]
Manufacturer : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm
Firmware Version : SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06
Provider Name : Telenor
Roaming : Not roaming
Signal : 12%
RSSI / RSCP : 4 (-105 dBm)

In my services overview I have one service related to Sierra: "Sierra Wireless Service"

Points to: C:\WINDOWS\Sierra Wireless Inc\bin\SwiService.exe. 

I will run with the device disabled for some time, to see if my tcp/ip stack still crashes - or if it is stable now. Maybe I'll contact Lenovo and ask for a HW fix...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 549
Message 8 of 11

Shortly - yes, as I said above, the fw might cause your issue.

Again, as I noted above, the drivers package includes newer fw. I don't know the reason Sierra offers outdated fw - since v.2.24.05.06 has been released on their site, another one offered - 2.26.01.00. And present one in the drivers package is 2.28.00.00.

p.s.I have removed Dev ID from the output in your post.

steinrr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 546
Message 9 of 11

Is there anyway I can use the FW from the drivers package to update my card?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 540
Message 10 of 11

Yes. I'll answer in the evening as I have to go.
You might search across the forum my posts about em7455 with "fdt" or "fdt2" mentions (as a search context). It's a tool in the drivers package for the fw flashing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors