Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 1 of 5

Carbon X1G6 Automatic Wake from Hibernate Draining Battery

One of the recent updates (BIOS, Thunderbolt, Windows) has caused my Carbon X1G6 to automatically resume from hibernate each day. The PC wakes from hibernate due to a system scheduled task at 05:30 and then enters sleep mode, leading to battery drain. It does not re-enter hibernate mode.

I am positive this never used to happen. When I put my PC into hibernate I expect it to stay that way until I turn it back on. It could be days/weeks before I need to, so for the PC to auto-wake and then enter sleep mode, draining power is wrong.

How do I stop the PC auto-waking from hibernate? Don't expect me to disable all of the system scheduled tasks, they are there for a reason.

I have all of the latest Lenovo, Intel & Windows updates, including the Lenovo USB selective suspend patch.

Looking at the battery sleep report it says the CS Enter Reason = 14 (Sleep Button) and CS Exit Reason = 15 (Lid), which is weird given that the buttons/lid aren't being used!

Sleep.PNGSleep report

bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 773
Message 2 of 5

Re: Carbon X1G6 Automatic Wake from Hibernate Draining Battery

I checked the task that seemed to be waking the computer and it did NOT have the "Wake the computer" condition set. I checked all of the other tasks and found a MS Windows \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator task that did have this set, so I disabled the "Wake the computer" option. So a bit of a mystery as to why the PC was waking up at a set time.

I also checked "powercfg –waketimers" and found none.

I went through all of the devices and ensured "Allow this device to wake the computer" was off - I found the HID mouse & keyboard & Thunderbolt controller had this on.

I checked the power plan and found that "Allow Wake Timers" was set to disabled.

This morning the computer did not auto wake up. I put the computer to sleep mode and after the sleep period timed out the system auto-hibernated, which is what I want to do. I will keep monitoring to see if somehow I have stopped the auto-wakeup.

I checked the power plan settings and found that the "Hibernate after" setting for battery mode has changed the value I set (120 minutes) to 1440 minutes (1 day). Seems Windows has automatically changed it for some reason. I will reset it and monitor what happens to it - this could be the reason why the PC is not switching from Sleep to Hibernate automatically.

bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 754
Message 3 of 5

Hah! Found the culprint. It's Lenovo's own app - Lenovo Vantage. There is a (new?) feature called Smart Standby that automatically set itself to ON. This automatically wakes your computer every weekday at 05:30 ready for work. It must save all of 10 seconds start up on my laptop.

I've turned it off and hurrah, the PC stays hibernated.

Also it fixes another issue - I found that the "Hibernate After" time setting was being changed from my value. Yes, Lenovo Vantage was silently zapping that too.

So beware this dangerous app. Shame on Lenovo for turning this feature on by default and not explaining its consequences better.

justinchao740
Punch Card
Views: 698
Message 4 of 5

to be honest, modern standby is efficient enough that i let it do its thing overnight and it barely uses even 10% battery.
bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 690
Message 5 of 5

That presumes you will be using the computer the next day. If you're going away, travelling, or the battery is already getting low, then this bad news. For this to work properly Lenovo need to provide a "Smart Standby" shutdown option, since only I know when I will be next using the PC. A simple schedule is not sufficient.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors