Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_andrzz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 540
Message 1 of 5

Carbon x1 5th gen: Both Touchpad and Trackpoint not working

Recently got a new Carbon x1, and everything was working fine, but once I closed the laptop and when I woke it up neither TrackPoint nor touchpad was working. Reboots didn't help. Tried installing Synaptics drivers - it said there was no device for update. Device manager detects the touchpad as Microsoft mouse with corresponding drivers (screenshot attached).

4.PNG1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Also tried installing update for TrackPoint from the drivers list, it said it needed a reboot to install, after reboot there was an error window that suggested trying once again, several times I saw this message.

Anyone have this? Are there any possible solutions?(Searched on the forum, but the solutions were not for my case or didn't work)

P.S. It would be kinda stupid for a $1500 laptop not to work because of a touchpad.

P.P.S. Tried ubuntu from usb flash drive - the same result, no trackpoint, no touchpad.

Winnt32exe
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 2 of 5

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad&Trackpoint issue

Dear all,

I'm having trouble with both my touchpad&trackpoint not working properly.

I am not sure whether there's something to do about my hardware or not, but all things started to mess up.

I have been experiencing the issue that sometimes my touchpad and trackpoint didn't work. At first I solved it through disabling driver signature enforcement, but later on both the touchpad and trackpoint lost its function after I hibernate/sleep. I have to restart the system and select that advanced boot option again to use them.

I don't know the exact time the issue started to deepen, but, I'm guessing that it's about the touchpad firmware update. I installed it someday and after rebooting the program told me that the attempt to update is failed. And after that the touchpad&trackpoint became completely unusable. Both the device can be seen in the device manager but they just lost their functions. I have tried reinstalling the driver and all the installing progress seem to be completed except the firmware updating failure.

Here's the log from TrackPointDetect.exe:

TouchPad-Flash Utility
2018-08-24 23:38:14
Command Line: TrackPointDetect.exe
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xE8 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xE8 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xE8 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xF5 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Synaptics Reset fail
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xE7 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Reset fail
[WARNING]: WriteCommand 0xF4 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 1: WriteCommand 0xF4 => 0xFE failed.
[WARNING]: Retry 2: WriteCommand 0xF4 => 0xFE failed.
[ERROR]: Fail to leave TransparentMode.
[ERROR]: Fail to enter Transparent Mode.

In the device manager, the category Mice and other pointing devices, there's only a Synaptics Touch pad device (I'm not sure whether the other two matters: Logitech Virtual Gaming Mouse and USB input device(I'm using a G900))

And in the category Human Interface Devices, the Synaptics HID-Compliant Touch pad device's location (In the device properties) appears to be unknown.

Now both the touchpad and trackpoint is disabled and I cannot use it.

Can you help me have them working again?

Winnt32exe
Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 3 of 5

Re: Carbon x1 5th gen: Both Touchpad and Trackpoint not working

Got the same issue as yours.
I have also gone through the community and have not found the solution. Have you solved it?

P.S. I agree that it's really stupid for a 1600$ laptop to be not working due to touchpad&trackpoint issues which are actually it's features.

GilgaMensch
Paper Tape
Views: 22
Message 4 of 5

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad&Trackpoint issue

Same problem over here... or at least quite similar.

After updating Windows 10 the Touchpad and Trackpoint don't work anymore. The device manager shows both and lenovo vantage/trackpoint settings seem to recognize them.

I started to install/update every driver lenovo update/vantage found for my device. None related to Trackpad/Trackpoint.

After some searching I found a driver update for UltraNav:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103454

The only thing is that my machine type (20HR) is not included into that driver update. I hope the link helps you guys.

GilgaMensch
Paper Tape
Views: 22
Message 5 of 5

Re: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad&Trackpoint issue [Sorry for double.. had network issue]

Apparently not deletable.....

Same here.. or at least very similar.

After updating Windows 10 the Touchpad/Trackpoint don't work.

I updated everything lenovo vantage showed available. Didn't work. Nothing related to Touchpad/Trackpoint.

Next I googled a bit and found this:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103454

An update to UltraNav. Only Problem is it doesn't include my machine type (20HR). But I hope it fits yours.

It's just annoying af.

Top Kudoed Authors