US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 1 of 7

Case Enclosure for my ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen SSD

2019-02-18, 16:18 PM

Hi,

My SSD crashed. When put in a different PC, it also crashed. But I am still hoping I can get data out of it by connecting it as an external drive. I am not sure, though, what case enclosure and cables to use. I am attaching images of both sides of the chip, in hopes someone could tell me what sort of encolusre I should be looking for. (for example, would this work: https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Enclosure-Lenovo-Thinkpad-Carbon/dp/B07FYF9SFD ?)

Thanks!

Corinne

Solved! See the solution
Options

7716 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76836 Signins

2153873 Page Views

• Views: 2153873
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Case Enclosure for my ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen SSD

2019-02-18, 16:31 PM

Hello and welcome,

The short answer to your question is no.  The adapter you linked is for SATA m.2 SSDs.  It won't work with your NVMe SSD.

There are USB/NVMe adapters available, but the first generation of them required initializing (erasing) the SSD - so they wouldn't be useful in your situation.  I've done some testing with the newer unit linked below and had success reading and writing a couple of different NVMe SSDs that shipped in ThinkPads.

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-m2x-portable-usb-3.1-gen-2-2242-2260-2280-m.2-nvme-pcie-ssd-external-enclosure-adapter-mdnvme-m2x-usb/

The one I linked above should work, but I can't guarantee it will work - even if your SSD is otherwise readable - and can't speak to other possible issues such as encryption.  Sorry I can't be more certain, but my test samples have been limited, and this may be a bit of a moving target.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

02-18-2019

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-02-18, 17:26 PM

Many thanks zoltanthegypsy -- it's worth a try!

One quick follow-up question: does it matter that the number of pins specified is different from what I see on my SSD (I counted 29+4)? (Sorry if this is a totally dumb question -- my first time doing this...)

Oh, I have another question, actually. Other than trying to get the data off this, I am also interested in permanently deleting the data (because this needs to be sent back to Lenovo). Is there a way to do it with a dead SSD (assuming I have no success in accessing it as an external drive), in a way that won't void Lenovo's warranty? (This SSD is about 6 months old...)

C.

Options

7716 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76836 Signins

2153873 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-02-18, 17:36 PM

Which pin count(s) are you referring to?  I see 29+5 on the SSD in your pic.

I've never had occasion to do a full wipe of an SSD.  There are tools to do a full erase of SSDs.  This one from Lenovo may apply, but since I've not used it, I'll let others here offer suggestions.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds019026

[edit to add] Another possible option for data recovery - and to get an idea of whether your SSD is readable:  boot a Ubuntu live Linux flash drive with the SSD still installed in your X1Y and see if you can access your data.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

02-18-2019

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-02-18, 17:55 PM

Thanks for this!

I counted 29+4 on one side, but after your post I looked at the other side counted 29+5. I hadn't realized it's not symmetrical. :) In any event, I don't know why I thought there was a mismatch with the pin numbers; I must have been looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again for your help with all this!

C.

Options

4 Posts

02-18-2019

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-02-27, 18:37 PM

It worked! (After our IT department unsuccessfully tried several different other devices while I was waiting for this one to arrive...)

You totally saved me on this one -- thank you!

Options

7716 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76836 Signins

2153873 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-02-27, 19:23 PM

Excellent :)  Thanks for reporting back.

Z.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save