cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SR14626
Core Memory
Views: 1,690
Message 1 of 7

Changing Boot Order in BIOS ThinkPad X1 Extreme ?

New at this and need assistance if possible....

Installing a new SSD (taking out the current and starting fresh only), and for the life of me I cannot get into the Bios anymore using the F-12 key, nor the F-1 key.  I was able before, but it was hit and miss using the F-12 key. At times I would see a message during boot up that I would need to hit the Enter Key that would get me into the Bios but that didn't show up at each boot up.  If I wanted to install this new drive, taking out the other one, how would I get into the bios to change the boot order ?

Hope I was somewhat clear.  Anyone can assist ?  Thank You so very much

Darthvader-
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,663
Message 2 of 7

Re: Changing Boot Order in BIOS ThinkPad X1 Extreme ?

If you hold the enter keydown right at powerup, and keep holding it, you should get  a prompt to enter the bios,  I found found that holding it for what I thought was a long time was what was needed.

SR14626
Core Memory
Views: 1,656
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the suggestion, but that to did not work.   Once in a good while when I booted up I would see a pop up suggesting to hit the "Enter" key but that was just every now and then, not each boot up.  I'm at a lose now since my new SSD will be arriving soon and would like to swipe out the old and in with the new without doing a clone or anything, just a clean install using a USB thumb driv.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway

SR14626
Core Memory
Views: 1,640
Message 4 of 7

Located the issue.  Turned off Fast Boot and now all is well.  Goofy, but now I will be able to install the new SSD and change the Boot Order

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,638
Message 5 of 7

Are you having this problem on startup, or restart, or both?  Normal Win 10 shutdown and startup is more like hibernation and resume so you won't get an option to hit ENTER or F12.  Try a restart or startup following a full shutdown: SHIFT + shutdown and see what you get.  Yu should also be able to get to boot menu/BIOS setup using Windows advanced startup options.

You should also always be able to use F12 on both restart and startup if you've disabled Widows fast startup.

If you've tried the above and still no F12 option, something else is going on.

[edit] Looks like you figured it out while I was typing.  Never mind...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Darthvader-
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,635
Message 6 of 7

What is fast boot and how do you turn that on or off?

SR14626
Core Memory
Views: 1,617
Message 7 of 7

1) click on small battery icon lower right system tray > Select Power Options > Select what Power Option do > a little above this next section, find and click on Change settings that are currently unavailable > Now you will see Turn off Fast Start-up.  Click to turn it on or off.

Fast Start up will give you a slightly faster boot up into windows desktop.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors