Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
netnative
Punch Card
Views: 1,660
Message 1 of 3

Clean Install of Windows 10 on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th

I am about to embark on a clean install of Windows 10 on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th. From what I have read online, I do not foresee any complications using the USB flash drive created by the Windows Media Creation Tool. What is the best way to install the drivers? One by one? Using Lenovo Vantage? Using Lenovo System Update 5? Scanning the machine at the Lenovo Support website? Any guidance and/or tips to accomplish a perfect clean install would be appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,652
Message 2 of 3

Re: Clean Install of Windows 10 on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th

If I still have a working system, I make sure my BIOS is correct before starting.  I always just install directly from the USB drive created by the media tool.  I choose a custom install and remove ALL partitions and install into unused space.  I then force MS to do all its updates and then I get Lenovo Vantage from the MS store.  I run Vantage to get the needed drivers.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
netnative
Punch Card
Views: 1,633
Message 3 of 3

Re: Clean Install of Windows 10 on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th

Thank you for your prompt reply. I wished that Lenovo would not rely on Windows Store apps. I am having trouble with Vantage which I can neither update nor reinstall. I am getting Error Code 0x80073CFB. The Windows Store version of Office365 that came preinstalled has also given me trouble. First, I had to create Outlook profiles without having the Mail icon in User Accounts at the Control Panel. Then, I could not install Proofing Tools for another language despite trying three different methods. After I downloaded Office365 from the Office website, the Proofing Tools installed and the Mail icon in User Accounts appeared. But now the Mail icon does not show the profiles that I had created. Factory system preloads can give end-users a false sense of security.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors