Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Xav
Paper Tape
Views: 8,819
Message 1 of 8

Connecting X230 to Philips Miracast enabled Smart TV

I have a new X230 which came with Intel WiDi installed.  I am trying to connect it to a Philips Smart TV which the folks at Philips tell me should work with WiDi.  The TV is Miracast enabled.

When I run the Intel WiDi software, the Philips TV appears as an available device.

When I click to connect, the software asks for a PIN number and at the same time a PIN number appears on the TV screen.  I enter this in the box provided by the software.

There is a pause of 15 - 45 seconds, and then there is a message on the TV : "Step 2/2.  Connected.  Starting playback."

This is quickly replaced by a message on the TV "Failed to playback".

The WiDi software remains at the "Connecting..." screen.

I feel I am pretty close to getting this to work, but not sure what to do to actually succeed. 

I have already updated the WiDi software and drivers to the latest available on the Lenovo site:

Intel WiDi - 4.2.19.0

Intel HD Graphics driver - 9.18.10.3359

Intel PROSet/Wireless software 16.1.3

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Wayward

X230 (2325-77G) running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

fellow
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,793
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting X230 to Philips Miracast enabled Smart TV

Hey xav!

I had exactly same problem as you.

My Lenovo is Y570 and my Philips is PFL7008k.

After hours and hours of exploring and investigating Smiley Sad

I concluded that problem is Philips TV so I've upgraded TVs firmware to latest.

Currently it's version 173.44.0 for my TV model.

It's not perfect version (see Philips support site) but WiDi is working like a charm. Smiley Wink

Only problem is delay of mouse cursor but it's pretty expected...

All further information about upgrade of your TV firmware you can find on Philips site.

Cheers!

Xav
Paper Tape
Views: 8,780
Message 3 of 8

Hi fellow

Thanks for the response.

I already upgraded to the latest Philips firmware for my TV, so no immediate solution there. 

Seems like I shall have to pester Philips a little on this one.

Cheers!

fellow
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,775
Message 4 of 8

Another hint:

Check firewall on your Windows and make sure that WiDi application has "Allow access".

Xav
Paper Tape
Views: 8,760
Message 5 of 8

I have tried with both Kaspersky Pure disabled and Windows firewall disabled, but no success.

fellow
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,746
Message 6 of 8

Check README for latest Intel WiDi software:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22016/eng/Readme_Intel%20Wireless%20Display%204%202%20PV%204%202%202...

especially 3.6  Known Errata and Limitations chapter.

That's where I got many testing ideas...

Also did you try to connect some other device to your TV via Miracast?

For example smartphone, another laptop...

Xav
Paper Tape
Views: 8,735
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the link.

I have a new Kindle Fire HDX tablet which is supposed to be Miracast compatible.  In fact it was the Kindle that got me started on display mirroring.  The Kindle can detect the TV, but when asked to connect, gets no further.  I spoke for quite a while with a couple of Kindle support guys, but the best they could suggest was to try to connect another device to the TV.  For example a laptop.  That was when I started with the Intel WiDi on my Thinkpad X230.

The Kindle Fire, like the Philips TV, is a closed system.  There is no ability to tinker with the system, beyond updating to the latest firmware.  It is just supposed to work, and when it doesn't........ :-(

I have a Sony Xperia Smartphone and an old Thinkpad X200 but neither have the necessary hardware spec.

I have also chatted with Philips customer support and been through everything I can find on the Philips forum, but without anything useful coming up. 

Xav
Paper Tape
Views: 8,680
Message 8 of 8

Following my last post, I went out and bought a Netgear Push2TV which provides Miracast connection to a TV via a small external unit box.  With this I was able to establish a WiDi connection from my X230, albeit after a little messing about.  When the connection was first made, the TV screen remained blank.  I had to right click on the desktop and select Graphics Options > Output To > Clone Displays > Built in display and WiDi.  The display then appeared on the TV.

Since then, Phillips have released a firmware upgrade for the Phillips 32PFL4258M/08 TV I have, and the X230 WiDi now works directly with the TV's Miracast facility.  My Kindle Fire HDX also now works with the TV's Miracast, albeit the reproduction is not great. 

The resolution with the Phillips TV's Miracast is, for reasons only known to Phillips, limited to 720p albeit the TV itself is full HD.  The 720p is notably less sharp than the Netgear Push2TV's 1020p, so I shall continue to use the Netgear Push2TV, which works extremely well.

I hope this helps someone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors