Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amcgee
Paper Tape
Views: 5,097
Message 1 of 6

Cracked X1 Yoga Screen - Need help with screen replacement

Hi all, so I bought an 1st Gen X1 Yoga (20FR) earlier in the year, and due to an unfortunate accident the screen is now cracked and the touchscreen no longer works. I'm quite upset about it, but a repair from Lenovo would be £580 which is far too much.

I'm happy to buy a display separetely and install it myself, my I'm unclear about screen compatibility.

My screen is a 14” WQHD (2560 x 1440) LCD. My question is, can I buy a 1920x1080 screen (since they're cheaper and easier to find), and replace the current one with it? Or does it need to be the exact same screen? The part quoted by Lenovo is 00UR192, but would this one work for instance?

Many thanks, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,083
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cracked X1 Yoga Screen - Need help with screen replacement

Welcome to the Community

FRU 00UR192 is a kit of several parts, LCD including - LGD p/n LP140QH1 (SP)(E1), Lenovo FRU 00РТ876. So, you might purchase separate LCD only if it's the only broken part. I don't know anything about compatibility of FRU 00РТ875 on the page you've linked.

BTW, there are 4 compatible spare parts, substitions of 00UR192. One of them has the same LCD as above.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

amcgee
Paper Tape
Views: 5,072
Message 3 of 6

Hi, thanks very much for the welcome and reply. Just replacing the LCD sounds preferable, but on further inspection I think the digitzer must be the broken part rather than the LCD, since the image is fine but the touch screen doesn't function. Is there an FRU for the digitizer? From the video instructions for removing the panel it looks like it's all glued together as one part though, so I'm not sure if I can only replace only the broken part (altough I don't have much experience with touchscreen tech).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,058
Message 4 of 6

The assembly is held together with adhesive and the electrical connectors are also held with adhesive.  The digitizer cannot be replaced separately

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,046
Message 5 of 6

I think this is a part you mean
https://download.lenovo.com//Images/Parts/00UR192/10.jpg

It's p/n TOM1 4P80 v.1.0, w/out Lenovo FRU, where TOM1 seems a family, 4P80 - model. I'm afraid it's very difficult to find the part separately.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

deffo
What's DOS?
Views: 4,545
Message 6 of 6

Go to warranty service and ask for replacement. Those screens are made from ice, not from glass, I have seen a lot of those laptops with broken screen. A lot of those screens got broken when authorised service engineer tried to replace those screens. This is Lenovo design fault, bad choice of glass used. Fight for new screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals