Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadio917
Paper Tape
Views: 696
Message 1 of 8

DC power for 2nd gen thinkpad X1 yoga?

is it possible to power this product from a cigarette lighter?  I can't find any adapter products to do it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 677
Message 2 of 8

Re: DC power for 2nd gen thinkpad X1 yoga?

Simply, no.  The power supply needs to put out 20V and 3,25 amps as well as sending the control signals to tell the laptop what is being sent.  Your cigarette lighter won't do that.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 674
Message 3 of 8

The Google turns up a couple of things.  One claims 90W the other 45W.  No personal experience, so FWIW:

https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-CPD-Charger-Transformer-Precision/dp/B071RDMS1Q

https://www.amazon.com/BiXPower-Type-C-Charger-Delivery-Computers/dp/B073ZN5RS3

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

dadio917
Paper Tape
Views: 672
Message 4 of 8

too bad...i really wanted to buy the system.  what a poor design and limiting for a mobile device.  my last two laptops were lenovo and i've used them in the field with 12v adapters.  Tell your engineers they should rethink the design (i worked at intel long enough to know about that stuff)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 661
Message 5 of 8

It isn't the laptop design.  ThinkPads have all needed 19V or 20V for many years/models now.

The IBM/Lenovo AC/DC adapters could make 20V from 12V but I don't think there's currently a USB-C version.

Perhaps one of the ones I linked will serve.   There may well be others out there - I didn't look too far.

For the record: while it won't help with the Gen2 X1 Yoga that's USB-C only, some other current-model ThinkPads can charge via USB-C or Slim Tip and can use existing Lenovo 12V adapters.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

dadio917
Paper Tape
Views: 657
Message 6 of 8

any 2 in  1 systems that you know of (or recomend) that work off any of the dc adapters?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 655
Message 7 of 8

@dadio917 wrote:

any 2 in  1 systems that you know of (or recomend) that work off any of the dc adapters?

Off the top of my head... of the latest models the TP Yoga 370 and TP P40 Yoga (I'm uncertain of the P40's wattage requriement).  If you go back one generation, the X1 Yoga Gen1, TP Yoga 260 and TP Yoga 460.

Anything that uses the rectangular slim tip - and doesn't requre more current than the adapter can provide.

An example of a currently-available Lenovo 65W DC adapter:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/travel-chargers/65w-DC...

And a 90W AC/DC unit:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ec/en/solutions/migr-72900

If you try to find that last one - 41R4493 - be careful.  Many on-line sellers will take that to mean any of the AC/DC units, and they don't all have the rectangular tip.  Prices are all over the map.  I found one but it took considerable searching.

Z.

dadio917
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 8 of 8

well...thanks for your help.  think i'm back to a surface pro.  be my first non-lenovo in about 15 years.  but my wife has one and she loves it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors