Message 11 of 21

Re: Defective X1 Carbon - dies randomly

My one has the smilar problem, does not come out of hibernate, it crashes

dilantha
What's DOS?
Views: 1,958
Message 12 of 21

I am still wating to get trough to Post sales support, its been close from 3 day ! becasue of some holiday in China!

alercunha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,823
Message 13 of 21

I just got a X1 Carbon and I have the exact same behavior.

Most of the time sleep and hibernate do not come back. It shows a message saying "windows did not shut down properly".

And less frequently the computer just shuts down! Battery was good (>50%) computer wasn't overheating, it just died like that, bam!

Unbelievable you pay >$1500 on a computer with such poor quality control.

Maybe they are restocking the defective units and reselling them so we are complaining about the same units... (j/k).

Will return my unit but it's a shame cause I really like this computer. Would love to keep it.

mswlogo
Punch Card
Views: 1,811
Message 14 of 21

@durask wrote:

Got my X1 Carbon yesterday. Does have the loose clickpad.

Worse issue - it would power down randomly - as in you are typing and suddenly it goes completely dead, as in "lights out" or someone pull the plug type dead. Also does not sleep properly - often when it goes to sleep it dies and you get an improper windows shutdown warning when you restart it. Happens both with AC power and battery power.

Was on hold for 1.5 hours trying to reach a sales rep to make an exchange and got disconnected.

Tried to do factory restore just to see what will happen but F11 on startup does not work.

The notebook looks great but otherwise I can't say I am very happy with my experience.

I had terrible problems with BIOS commands too.

The problem is Windows 8 Fast Boot.

Either disable it, or after it's powered down, hold the power button down and it will fully shutdown.

Then when it comes on you can use F12, or Enter etc. You have to do this "double shutdown" when Fast Boot is enabled.

I ended up shutting fast boot off.

With Fast Boot mine would boot like in 6 seconds, with it off it boots in about 16 seconds.

alercunha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,776
Message 15 of 21

I figured out (at least in my laptop) why this problem is happening. It has nothing to do with sleep or hibernate. There's a defect that whenever you apply some pressure to the left side of the screen while trying to adjust the angle it simply shuts off!! 

I made a video to show it:

http://youtu.be/8X9lWkknAk0

I'll updload another one showing it again shortly.

Come on Lenovo, is this the best you can do?

alercunha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,774
Message 16 of 21

parksa90
What's DOS?
Views: 1,725
Message 17 of 21

Mine has the same problem. It really sucks.. Touching lower-left bezel of laptop shuts computer off. The real problem is when I carry my laptop in my backpack, that spot get pressed and I cannot use sleep mode at all..

alercunha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,704
Message 18 of 21

Yes, it really sucks.

I wish this information would spread faster because from the posts in this forums it looks like a lot of people are having this issue and still couldn't figure out what that is.

I was a bit lucky to be able to figure it out...

yohanbackhouse
Paper Tape
Views: 1,312
Message 19 of 21

Re: Defective X1 Carbon - dies randomly every 2 minutes

Have had my X1 for 6 months. Biggest mistake I ever made. Should have known better after I returned the first 2 machines and have had several annoying issues with this machine. It has now chosen to randomly shut down about every 2 minutes. Tried rebooting but still happens literally every 2 minutes so the machine is unusable. Any application I start shuts down. Seemed to also have a meltdown when it kept powering off and on continiously and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I suspect I have a major problem. Anyone able to throw some light on this as it seems Lenovo telephone support only works 9 to 5 Mon to Fri. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,283
Message 20 of 21

Re: Defective X1 Carbon - dies randomly every 2 minutes

Hi yohanbackhouse,

Welcome to Lenovo Community.

I'm sorry to read that this is the third computer that has been giving you a problem. I have not seen that happen with anyone else. Do you think there is some application that you have installed on all three that could be causing conflicts? If you run in Safemode, do you still experience shutdowns?  Have you run hardware and virus/spyware scans? I do not work for Lenovo, and don't have an answer for you at this point. Perhaps someone else will. After you are able to get in touch with Tech Support let us know if you have been able to resolve the issue.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors