Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tpatrickwalsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,773
Message 1 of 28

Detection error on SSD (M.2) - X1 Yoga

I purchased an X1 Yoga w/ 512 GB SSD / i5 a couple months ago - loved the laptop.  After a week or so using it I started getting random blue screens of death.  Following the BSOD, the laptop sometimes reboots normally, other times displays an error during boot "2101: Detection error on SSD (M.2)."  If this error message is displayed, the laptop won't boot and has to be restarted again.  After restarting anywhere from one to five times, it returns to function normally.  

After experiencing the same problem intermittently for a couple weeks, I finally called Lenovo and reported the issue and registered to return the laptop, ordered a brand new one (again X1 Yoga / 512 GB SSD, this time i7).  

After waiting a couple weeks for delivery, I received the new laptop a few days and freshly installed all of my software, transferred my data over from the faulty laptop, and got back to work as of yesterday.  Everything seemed fine, but then again today I got a BSOD with the new laptop, and the same SSD error!  

I can't find much information about this error via Google search, and only found one or two posts on the forum here referencing it that aren't very helpful.   It seems like this must be a relatively uncommon problem, but I've had it with two independent laptops.  I haven't installed any exotic software or made any customizations to the laptop - it seems unlikely that I am causing this problem myself.  What in the heck is going on here?  Did I receive two faulty X1 Yogas in a row, with two months in between?  Seems impossible since this is not a common issue on the board here.  I'm incredulous - please let me know if you have any ideas.  

tpatrickwalsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,703
Message 2 of 28

Re: Detection error on SSD (M.2) - X1 Yoga

Does anybody have a clue as to why I would have this SSD detection error issue on two laptops in a row?  The new laptop continues to bluescreen with a "Critical_Process_Died" message once or twice each day, seemingly at random.  It sometimes refuses to boot with the "Detection Error on SSD (M.2)" message.  

I'm getting ready to send this second X1 Yoga back to Lenovo in the next few days if I can't find any explanation for this.

Any advice from Lenovo?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,696
Message 3 of 28

It sounds like a timing problem between the drive firmware and the BIOS, where the drive takes longer to respond than the BIOS expects.  I would expect an update would address this but I couldn't find any.  Perhaps the 512GB SSD is an uncommon option, causing this to be an uncommon issue.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tpatrickwalsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,683
Message 4 of 28

Thanks Rich K.  

It would make sense if the problems at boot time were related to a BIOS issue, but I assume that a BIOS issue would not be a likely cause of the blue screens of death (with "critical_process_failed" messages)?  The combination of the two to me suggests some kind of random disconnection / corruption of the SSD itself, but I really have not much of a clue, and no idea why that would happen on two systems in a row.  Unless, like you said, all or many of the 512 GB SSDs Lenovo is shipping with the X1 Yoga are faulty, and this is an uncommon configuration?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,678
Message 5 of 28

I can think of one thing you could try to see if the blue screens are related to a starting problem.  The ssd would start at boot time and whenever the power options allowed the disk to power down, and then be restarted on activity.  Go to the control panel under power and look at advanced options.  Set the hard drive never to power down due to inactivity.   

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dtscaps
Token Ring
Views: 6,673
Message 6 of 28

it may be a SSD firmware problem.

tpatrickwalsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,642
Message 7 of 28

Richk:  Great idea.  I tried disabling hard disk powerdown yesterday - found that option in power settings / advanced settings.  It was set to power down the hard disk after 3 minutes, I changed that to never.  

But I have had two blue screens of death since then.  So it seems power cycling is unrelated to the issue.

Anything else I could check?

dtscaps
Token Ring
Views: 6,638
Message 8 of 28

I replaced the ahci SSD with a Samsung 950 pro (NVMe) on day one. It works perfectly.
I still beleive the most likely problem is a firmware bug in the embedded SSD delivered with your X1 Yoga.

Disabling powersave only eats up your battery.

tpatrickwalsh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,593
Message 9 of 28

OK this is starting to feel a bit ridiculous.

I had to call Lenovo to troubleshoot and authorize a return because I was approaching the 30-day window.  I did arrange a return label, and successfully convinced Lenovo to wait until late April for me to ship this (second) faulty laptop back, in case I can figure out a way to fix it in the meantime.

While troubleshooting with Lenovo, they had me press F11 at startup to boot into a Lenovo debug environment that allows testing of various components.  I ran the SSD test, which passed, and then ran a memory test (which took about two hours) also passed.  After that, just for the heck of it I re-ran the SSD test, which failed all but the last of five or six validation steps on that second try.  I reran the test again and it passed.  Again, seemed like some kind of intermittent issue with the drive, or else weird BIOS or motherboard issue.  

Seeing your reply, Token Ring, I went ahead and purchased a Samsung 950 pro SSD at a cost of around $330, on my own dime - I just need to get back to work and am willing to try whatever to get this computer to stop randomly rebooting.  I got the 950 Pro installed successfully, restored Windows and all of my programs, and everything seemed to be going fine.  Then a day later same error again, even with the new SSD - blue screen with "Critical_Process_Died" and then failure to boot ("Detection Error on SSD (M.2)") - after rebooting another couple of times, the laptop resumes booting normally.  Sometimes it blue screens again in a minute or two, sometimes it lasts 24 hours before another blue screen.

Any ideas?  I can pack this thing up and send it back to Lenovo, but it's so frustrating.  I'll be traveling for the next couple weeks, so have some time to work on it before I can send it back anyway.

dtscaps
Token Ring
Views: 6,566
Message 10 of 28

I'm sorry to hear about all your trouble. At this point I'll say you proved that you have received two defect machines in a row. (how odd is that) If you also see the detection error on your 950 pro, it is futile to discuss OS and driver versions.

I also assume you have the latest BIOS version on your X1 Yoga. I'm at 1.08 here. I have upgraded once meaning the former also works.

I would have returned it at this point.

At least you will see a great performance improvement from your new 950 pro when you finally get to use it.

PS, before removing the bottom cover, be sure to disable the internal battery in BIOS every time with the powercable unplugged.

I don't work for Lenovo.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors