Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

03-24-2016

United States of America

9 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 11 of 28

Re: Detection error on SSD (M.2) - X1 Yoga

2016-04-06, 4:27 AM

Thanks, Token Ring.  I have indeed updated to the latest BIOS version as well as the latest AHCI driver for Windows, before installing the 950 Pro (neither had any improvement, still saw blue screens while using the old Lenovo-stock SSD).   

I did not know that it was necessary to disable the battery before removing the cover - I hope I didn't damage anything?  Thanks for pointing this out.

If I can't figure out any other potential cause for this, the laptop will be going back to Lenovo (again) around April 26, once I'm back in the States.  But I'm worried that I'm missing something, and that I myself am causing this issue - the likelihood that I'm doing something to cause this seems higher than the likelihood that I received two laptops with the same defect (so far unreported on this board and seemingly unknown).  Having said that, it really seems to be a hardware or firmware issue, having nothing to do with OS, so I don't know what I could have done to cause this.

Thanks again.

Options

1 Posts

04-07-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 12 of 28

2016-04-07, 14:35 PM

DO disable the battery in the bios in case you need to replace the SSD. I hope you didn't damage anything earlier.

There're reports that SSD could get 'lost' in a running system and causes system hanging and worse, blue screen, if the OS is located on that SSD. By recycling the power or reinstalling the SSD drive the access to the lost SSD may be regained. The causes for this are either the SSD controller/firmware itself or the incompatibility of the AHCI driver and the SSD drive. It's likely that you're experiencing this issue.

1) AHCI driver incompatibility

There're two options: Windows in-box AHCI driver and Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. Try to install the other one to see if the problem goes away.

2) SSD controller/firmware problem

If heavy disk activities are observed in the system, the SSD controller may overheat or some bug in the firmware may lead to malfunction of the SSD. A well designed controller should have thermal control (by throttling the bandwidth) to prevent the overheat, while a firmware upgrade may fix the bugs. Light load on the SSD may conceal the problem. You may want to inspect your disk activity first.

If Lenovo designs the system right, none of these should happen as they have the OS and drivers preinstalled. However, we can always troubleshoot this kind of issue by installing the original Microsoft Windows, instead of recovering from the backup system, to see if the system runs stably. Afterwards, install the applications one by one to see which corrupts the system. Unfortunately, this procedure would take you a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Options

19 Posts

03-30-2016

UK

30 Signins

302 Page Views

• Views: 302
  • Message 13 of 28

2016-04-28, 1:18 AM

I am getting exactly the same BSOD errors on identical X1 yoga with 512 gb NVMe Samsung drive. Critical process died & 2100 detection error on storage device. Lenovo Support UK analyzed my memory.dmp file for 2 days, and blamed the error on win10. They will send win10 disc within 3 days, and instructed to install new win10. But according to IT dept at a very large university, Lenovo´s suggested solution wont solve the problem. When I told the story to my university, they said they are advicing against ordering X1 Yoga, and other Lenovo models with 2100 detection error, as Lenovo don´t have any good solution for this. And reinstalling win10 is not a solution. Both Lenovo and my university knows reinstall of win10 doesnt solve the underlying problem.

Options

136 Posts

10-28-2008

Norway

548 Signins

5892 Page Views

• Views: 5892
  • Message 14 of 28

2016-05-15, 9:18 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I have just seen a similar issue with one X1 yoga the other day.
The X1 yoga in question had a Samsung SM951, 512gb installed inside the SSD sleeve/shield that normally encloses the bundled ATA drive. Since the NVMe SSD's have an onboard controller the heat generated is much higher.

It resulted in a SSD detection error once, and several freezes of windows (no blue screen) at several occasions.
After removing the sleeve the errors disappeared. Often the fan was running at full speed trying to cool this thing down.

I am using a Samsung 950 pro myself in my X1 yoga. It is installed inside the sleeve. I haven't had any problems.
I therefore assume that the 950 pro has a better way of dispersing the heat from the embedded controller.

Options

19 Posts

03-30-2016

UK

30 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 15 of 28

2016-05-15, 11:04 AM

hi dtscaps,

Thanks for your story :-)

I have the MZVKV512 SM951 drive, and the computer goes very very hot before crashing.

Lenovo support UK have tried to solve the case for a month now.

Tomorrow they are visiting my university to put in a new SSD, hope it is not SM951 - maybe I should request Pro 950, as the SM 951 is quite obviously a very crappy drive, which I have tried to explain Lenovo support UK for more than a month now. Will show your story to the Lenovo engineer coming with new SSD tomorrow. I dont understand Lenovo is charging premium prices for X1 Yoga, becauase then I expect a premium product. Even though I paid for the best possible Lenovo warranty, Lenovo support UK have shouted loudly at me in the phone, showed up at my university, being clueless in the reception without a name or mobile on me. And so many excuses for NOT replacing the SSD. It has been a long long fight to make them recognize crappy SSD, and in total I have lost many many research hours on a very crappy laptop, very far from the premium products I have tried before from Lenovo. I think they lost their mojo, nothing premium about the X1 yoga.

Options

19 Posts

03-30-2016

UK

30 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 16 of 28

2016-05-16, 11:59 AM

hi Dtscaps,

I got confirmation from my IT dept, that Samsung Sm 951 is indeed causing problems in many laptops, including the X1, because it runs very hot. Thanks to your post, I opted for the Toshiba NVMe drive as replacement, which is getting excellent reviews, also on temperatures. Will post here, when I have tested the Toshiba NVMe drive in the X1 Yoga.

Thanks for helping :-)

Options

32 Posts

09-22-2014

Switzerland

110 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 17 of 28

Betreff: Detection error on SSD (M.2) - X1 Yoga

2016-06-09, 12:53 PM

I have the exact same issue with my X1 Yoga, but only since today. Yesterday evening, I updated some drivers via the Lenovo Companion app. The app updated Lenovo Battery Gauge, Intel HD Graphics Driver, Integrated Camera Driver for SunplusIT, WinTab Driver, Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software and Intel Management Engine 11.0 Firmware.

Could the Intel Management Enginge Firmware be the cause of the problem? Or is it confirmed that the Samsung SM951 is the source? Has anyone tested the same system with a different SSD?

Options

3 Posts

06-12-2016

UK

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 18 of 28

2016-06-12, 7:12 AM

Same 2100 error on my X1 yoga with 512 gb NVMe Samsung drive. :(

Options

21 Posts

10-22-2008

UK

87 Signins

812 Page Views

• Views: 812
  • Message 19 of 28

2016-06-12, 7:26 AM

I have the exact same BSOD errors on X1 yoga with 512 gb NVMe Samsung drive. Critical process died & 2100 detection error on storage device.

Unfortuntely, I cannot get into windows at all, nor can I reinstall windows so most probably all my files are gone!

BIOS is seeing the drive but installation media not. I even booted with a windows 10 usb drive and in device manage thenNVMe controllet has a yellow exclamation mark.  

Is anyone experiencing these errors again after replacing the NVMe?
I want to eliminate the possibility the motherboard causing the drive to go faulty. 

Thanks

Options

19 Posts

03-30-2016

UK

30 Signins

302 Page Views

• Message 20 of 28

2016-06-12, 8:30 AM

hi Kostals,

If you are under warranty, I would advice you to get new SSD replaced by Lenovo.

All 2100 detection errors I heard of with Lenovo laptops, got solved with new SSD drive.

And I would recommend getting the Toshiba version or 950 Pro.

I have heard from 2 large universities, that the 512 GB Samsung SM951 goes on error quite a lot.

Even though Lenovo claims it is a rare error, it speaks for itself, that large universities have stopped ordering laptops with Samsung SM951.

Lenovo Support UK promised to come with a Toshiba replacement drive for me, but they came with a SM951.

And after fighting with Lenovo Support UK for more than a month, to get new SSD, I gave up the fight, and tried SM951 for a last time.

For 2 weeks, my new SM951 have performed without 2100 Detection error. So apparently some SM951 are without errors.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms