Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 11 of 12

The Only Way to get my Lenovo to recognize my Apple iPhone as an Available Network (Hot Spot)..

2019-12-07, 4:38 AM

...is to turn off the Personal Hot Spot option in the iPhone settings, turn off the Wireless on the 

Lenovo Idea Pad (task bar) and then turn back on the Personal Hot Spot (to green) in iPhone settings

and then quickly turn on the Lenovo WiFi setting and for a brief moment "iPhone" will show up as a 

available network on the list and will connect and allow me to use my Verizon internet on my Lenovo Laptop.

IF I wait longer than the count of 5 seconds, the "iPhone" will disappear from available networks and

I have to repeat the process.

I have tried everything  else -- several times -- and as with so many glitchy moments with technology and electronics, sometimes powering on/off, or activating the item, is just what it needs to get something to happen. IF even for a couple of seconds.  And I resorted to this because I was in danger of losing my job on a project I did want to leave and there was no (accessible) internet w/in miles of where I was. This worked. And still does. Nothing else did. 

Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 12 of 12

Re: The Only Way to get my Lenovo to recognize my Apple iPhone as an Available Network (Hot Spot)..

2019-12-07, 14:01 PM

wrote:

...is to turn off the Personal Hot Spot option in the iPhone settings, turn off the Wireless on the Lenovo Idea Pad (task bar) and then turn back on the Personal Hot Spot (to green) in iPhone settings and then quickly turn on the Lenovo WiFi setting and for a brief moment "iPhone" will show up as a available network on the list and will connect and allow me to use my Verizon internet on my Lenovo Laptop.  

I found myself doing this all last week: trying to use the hotspot on my iPhone XS wirelessly I kept getting disconnected,. I try to reconnect, get "cannot connect to this network". Toggle off hotspot, disable Wifi on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen, toggle on hotspot, quickly turn on Wifi on my X1, and boom, it connects quickly. And then it loses the connection a few minutes later. Very frustrating. 

Hot tip: if you have the hotspot toggle set to 'on' and you connect your iPhone to your laptop via USB, it activates the hotspot immediately, no questions asked, no disconnects. I was rock solid for the past two days. Honestly I forgot that that "tethered hotspot" was even a thing! 

Still pretty coincidental that I have just been fighting with this and that I see this post the next weekend. I wonder if something recently got changed that partly broke the hotspot functionality. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms