Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klitgt
Paper Tape
Views: 260
Message 1 of 5

Did my X301 ship without camera?

Hello

According to the datasheet for ThinkPad X301 this model ships with an integrated camera.

My X301 is "Type 4056-CTO S/Nxxxx  09/03 ID:4057W9R" and I do not see any physical camera lens anywhere, not even close to the light (activates with Fn+PgUp) in the upper right corner of the screen. My T430s has a lens at this position and in the BIOS there is an option to enable/disable a camera.

Please tell me whether some production batches of the X301 ship without camera. And if they all do should I expect an option to turn it on/off in the BIOS? I do not see anything in the BIOS that indicates the existence of a camera.

Thank you

Mod edit: S/N removed 

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 247
Message 2 of 5

Re: Did my X301 ship without camera?

Open device manager and you should find if it has a webcamera listed there if it does then it has one if it's not listed then it does not have one.

klitgt
Paper Tape
Views: 235
Message 3 of 5

Jake, there is no "Imaging device", nothing in the group of System devices nor in the group of USB controllers (in case a camera would be a USB device).

So the conclusion must be that there is no integrated camera in my X301?

I wonder what will happen if I download a camera driver from the web and try to install it? May it magically pull a secret camera out from a hidden place?

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 232
Message 4 of 5

No it won't work, driver will throw a error saying "Error: required device could not be found" so I'm afraid your model is shipped without webcamera could be a special order depends where you bought it off.

klitgt
Paper Tape
Views: 223
Message 5 of 5

Thank you Jake

It was my job computer for 2 years. When I got a new computer I did get the opportunity to buy the X301 for a dime for private purposes.

Nice little thing, runs rock steady with Win7.

Best

Torben

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors