cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfr
Paper Tape
Views: 31,031
Message 1 of 2

Difference: Intel Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe & Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 (X270)?

I am looking for a new laptop. I currently have a X121e and recall it being extremely easy to configure on Lenovo's site. So I decided to look at the X270. However, having had great difficulty even starting to configure it (apparently, Lenovo does not favour Firefox any longer), I'm currently having trouble understanding the choices.

The first is the choice between PCIe and SATA PointingDevice. Following some discussion, I gather this has nothing to do with any kind of pointing device, but affects my HDD/SSD choices.

OK, so let's see what the PCIe choices give me. I get 5 'first hard drive' options. (Nothing I do gets me a 'second hard drive' option, so not sure about this. Or rather, I almost understand this now I've read the platform specification, the user manual, the hardware maintenance manual and various posts on Reddit. Lenovo do like to make buying a challenge!)

Now, however, I've reached the end of my google-fu.

1. Intel 256 GB Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe
  2. 256 GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 - Capable
  3. Intel 512 GB Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe
  4. 512 GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
  5. 1 TB Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe

I understand the difference beween 1/2 and 3/4 and 5 is obviously size. Fine. But what is the difference between 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4? 1 and 3 are Intel, whereas 2 and 4 are what? Not-Intel? Presumably, Then what's wrong with the Intel drives, that the unbranded versions are cheaper than the branded ones?

And is option 2 really the only capable drive? If not, what is it capable of which the others aren't? (Boasting?)

Aside concerning warnings in documentation

The user manual, rather alarmingly, tells me that, I should avoid using the keyboard

be careful not to use the keyboard for any extended length of time.

Given that the appeal of ThinkPads is that I type a lot and use a keyboard a lot and need a good one, I'm wondering whether I'm doing more than considering a decorative doorstop.

Even more alarmingly, it includes the following advisory:

For your safety, always follow these basic precautions with your computer

• Keep the cover closed whenever the computer is plugged in.

The obvious interpretation of 'cover' for a laptop is, of course, the lid. So, not only isn't it safe to type on it, it isn't even safe to look at the keyboard while the thing is plugged in?

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 30,976
Message 2 of 2

Re: Difference: Intel Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe & Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0

Short answer is that the Intel SSDs have some management capabilities related to vPro that the non-Intel drives don't.  Such as remote wiping and the ability to enable/disable certain encryption modes.  Usually, these features are only important to certain enterprise customers who are trying to manage a fleet of thousands of laptops.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors