Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

30 Posts

11-22-2010

Mesa, AZ

56 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 1 of 3

Difference between "type"'s of laptop model's - X201

2014-12-25, 0:07 AM

I've got two X201 laptops, that seem identical, except for the processor (one is an i5 2.4. and the other is an i5 2.53).  Also, the computer "type" is different on them.  One is a 3249 and the other is a 3680.  The only reason I care is that I was moving a hard drive from one of the laptops to the other laptop and figured the hardware is identical (besides the processor type) and that it wouldn't have any issues.  When Windows tries to boot with the first hard drive in the second system, I constantly get the blue screen.  Windows can't seem to repair the windows install, and if I put the hard drive back in the original system, it boots just fine.  I can't believe that just a higher speed processor would cause this to blue screen.  I've swapped hard drives between "like" dell systems in the past with no problems (even when there were different processors, but the same model laptop).  Why do they have so many "type's" of this system and does anyone know where I can find the differences.  You would think the types and differences would be posted somewhere but I can't find it.

Options

9148 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77954 Signins

2236140 Page Views

• Views: 2236140
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Difference between "type"'s of laptop model's - X201

2014-12-25, 0:48 AM

Hi,

What Windows version are you running?  What is the BSOD message?

Any chance one OS was installed in AHCI mode and the other in compatibility mode?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

30 Posts

11-22-2010

Mesa, AZ

56 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Difference between "type"'s of laptop model's - X201

2015-01-01, 16:19 PM

Both hard drives have Windows 7 installed.  The didn't notate the exact BSOD message, but it just said something like "run your anti-virus and if you have insalled new hardware, check that'.  I ended up reinstalling Windows to just get around it quicker so I no longer have access to the BSOD message.  I also am pretty sure that both laptops are set to AHCI mode...but not 100%.  That is a good tip and should have checked for that in the first place.  Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms