Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hougj
Punch Card
Views: 415
Message 1 of 8

Disappointed with the quality of X201

In the country where I came from the Thinkpad X series is often times considered as 'the best business' laptop.  However I'm really disappointed with the quality of my X201.

1. From the first day I got this laptop, I noticed an extremely annoying high pitch noise.  Many other users complained, some got their motherboards, CPU, and other parts replaced, and nothing changed.  There is a work around by sacrificing battery time.  I'm too young to be able to 'filter' this noise out, so I have to bear with the shortened battery time.

2. A few days later I found the contrast of the screen 'spontaneously' changes and comes back to normal within a few seconds occasionally.  Many other users noticed this as well.

3. After a few month's use, I found a crack on the left side of the palm rest.  The technician insisted that it was a appearance damage and was due to my inappropriate use and refused to repair.  Yesterday I took off the palm rest and found the cracking was caused by inappropriate assembling and design flaw of the palm rest.

4. Right after my one year warranty expired, the ThinkLight stopped working.  At first there was a several seconds delay for the LED to start working, then the delay got longer and longer and longer.  Now it's completely stopped working.  I've found some other users complaining this problem too.

5. A few days ago the WiFi reception range dropped by about 50%.  I place the computer 4 meters away from the router (nothing in between) and I couldn't get full strength.  I tried to change the driver and tried to use Linux and they were all the same.  Haven't seen other users' complain.

6. A few days ago the upper edge of my screen started to blink occasionally.  Haven't seen other users'' complain.

Now I have learned my lesson:  if you have no other choice but only have to buy Thinkpad, buy a 3yr warranty and accident protection, because the warranty does not cover apperance damage.

Guru
Views: 393
Message 2 of 8

Re: Disappointed with the quality of X201

1. I'd keep asking for a replacement. The CPUs from that era are known for this, regardless of laptop brand.

2. This is a power saving setting that can be switched off.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-T420-Screen-flickering-randomly-screen...

5. Check if the antenna leads have become dislodged.

6. This sounds like backlight failure.

Do keep in mind that with any manufacturer, lemons do happen.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
hougj
Punch Card
Views: 371
Message 3 of 8

I totally agree that with any manufacture lemons do happen.  Still I was surprised that the most expensive laptop I have has the most problems.
1. There is no point in doing so.  Since the whole series of CPU have the same problem.
2. Another work around sacrificing battery time.  Isn't X means portability?
5. I took of the entire WiFi card and reinstalled.  Nothing happened.
6. As far as I know my screen is LED backlit,, which makes it more creepy that only the upper edge have blinked.

@ColonelONeill wrote:
1. I'd keep asking for a replacement. The CPUs from that era are known for this, regardless of laptop brand.

2. This is a power saving setting that can be switched off.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-T420-Screen-flickering-randomly-screen...

5. Check if the antenna leads have become dislodged.

6. This sounds like backlight failure.

Do keep in mind that with any manufacturer, lemons do happen.

hougj
Punch Card
Views: 361
Message 4 of 8

UPDATE:
Just now I took off the front frame of the LCD assembly and found:  The WiFi antenna's welding has FAILED.   Is this common or it's only me?!

@hougj wrote:

In the country where I came from the Thinkpad X series is often times considered as 'the best business' laptop.  However I'm really disappointed with the quality of my X201.

1. From the first day I got this laptop, I noticed an extremely annoying high pitch noise.  Many other users complained, some got their motherboards, CPU, and other parts replaced, and nothing changed.  There is a work around by sacrificing battery time.  I'm too young to be able to 'filter' this noise out, so I have to bear with the shortened battery time.

2. A few days later I found the contrast of the screen 'spontaneously' changes and comes back to normal within a few seconds occasionally.  Many other users noticed this as well.

3. After a few month's use, I found a crack on the left side of the palm rest.  The technician insisted that it was a appearance damage and was due to my inappropriate use and refused to repair.  Yesterday I took off the palm rest and found the cracking was caused by inappropriate assembling and design flaw of the palm rest.

4. Right after my one year warranty expired, the ThinkLight stopped working.  At first there was a several seconds delay for the LED to start working, then the delay got longer and longer and longer.  Now it's completely stopped working.  I've found some other users complaining this problem too.

5. A few days ago the WiFi reception range dropped by about 50%.  I place the computer 4 meters away from the router (nothing in between) and I couldn't get full strength.  I tried to change the driver and tried to use Linux and they were all the same.  Haven't seen other users' complain.

6. A few days ago the upper edge of my screen started to blink occasionally.  Haven't seen other users'' complain.

Now I have learned my lesson:  if you have no other choice but only have to buy Thinkpad, buy a 3yr warranty and accident protection, because the warranty does not cover apperance damage.

Retired Guru
Views: 344
Message 5 of 8

Welding problems are relatively common since the ban of the leaded solder.

Think to the 33% of failed Xboxes or some Nvidia equipped Macbook, nowadays most of the problem are solved, but still aren't at the level of the lead era.

Btw you can get a set of original antennas for something like 15/20$ on ebay.

hougj
Punch Card
Views: 339
Message 6 of 8

I'd weld it myself.  Besides the cost, it's much eaiser to weld it other than replacing it since many parts have to be removed for the antenna replacement.

@The_Solutor wrote:

Welding problems are relatively common since the ban of the leaded solder.

Think to the 33% of failed Xboxes or some Nvidia equipped Macbook, nowadays most of the problem are solved, but still aren't at the level of the lead era.

Btw you can get a set of original antennas for something like 15/20$ on ebay.

Retired Guru
Views: 337
Message 7 of 8

That's obviously the better way, but usually people are scared when a soldering iron is mentioned...
Guru
Views: 321
Message 8 of 8

@hougj wrote:
I totally agree that with any manufacture lemons do happen.  Still I was surprised that the most expensive laptop I have has the most problems.
1. There is no point in doing so.  Since the whole series of CPU have the same problem.
2. Another work around sacrificing battery time.  Isn't X means portability?
5. I took of the entire WiFi card and reinstalled.  Nothing happened.
6. As far as I know my screen is LED backlit,, which makes it more creepy that only the upper edge have blinked.

1. Some batches are more affected than others.
2. This doesn't seem to affect battery runtime much for me. Besides, the effect is a result of the power saving measure; simple cause and effect.
6. Depends how the panel is backlit; maybe some of the LEDs failed.
Not sure about the antenna assembly though.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors