cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,513
Message 1 of 36

Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

Hello,

So I got my x1c a few days back. i've found a big "gap" between the two top and bottom'panels' -- please see picture below. When I place my wrist on the panel it sounds quite 'rickety' as I type (as the two panels hit each other). Surely this is a huge defect in the machine. Does anybody else's machine have a similar characteristic?? Thanks!

Link to image

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

ceb
WWAN
Views: 2,475
Message 2 of 36

Re: Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

Let's summarize

Shoddy QC - this and the loose touchpad

Changing specs without notification - the "rubber" touchpad

The incorrect WWAN information

Inconsistent packaging

It sounds like Lenovo screwed the pooch on this one when they could have had a winner.

@mss40 wrote:

Hello,

So I got my x1c a few days back. i've found a big "gap" between the two top and bottom'panels' -- please see picture below. When I place my wrist on the panel it sounds quite 'rickety' as I type (as the two panels hit each other). Surely this is a huge defect in the machine. Does anybody else's machine have a similar characteristic?? Thanks!

Link to image

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

SonicDethmonkey
Punch Card
Views: 2,461
Message 3 of 36

Wow that's pretty bad. My first X1C that I returned had the same issue but not that bad. Did you check the screws on the bottom of the chassis? The ones on my current X1C were not torqued consistently, some were very loose. Hopefully it's just a case of some very loose screws.

The QC is about as bad as any other massive corporation cranking out millions of pieces of made-in-China hardware. It's too bad that a person can spend up to $1,800 on a machine like this and have issues right out of the box. C'mon guys!

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,427
Message 4 of 36

Nope - it's not the screws that are loose - it's really an amateurish mess-up on the part of Lenovo. I'll be honest - I had thought that some of the complaints about X1 Carbon disappointing some long term ThinkPad users were just due to those people having bad luck, after all, when so many machines are built, things are bound to go wrong. Nonetheless, I had still bought into the reliability of the ThinkPad brand. My mistake. There are a number of things wrong with my machine, right out of the box:

1) The big "gap" in the chasis, as described above and in the picture

2) The glass touchpad isn't glass, it's rubbery

3) The right arrow key on the keyboard is a bit busted and "worn down"

Really bad first experience with Lenovo. Given the X1 Carbon is "20 years in the making", I would have thought that more attention would have been paid to getting this right.

sarahogburn
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 2,312
Message 5 of 36

Ughggh. Mine also has a small gap in the place you describe. The screws all seem pretty tight, and tightening them doesn't help.

hopsonmc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,270
Message 6 of 36

You forgot terrible, embarassingly poor customer service response when such issues do occur to remedy them.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 2,265
Message 7 of 36

Lenovo has written off the Western market. It seems almost as if they've said "those people will buy anything. We can slap a Thinkpad label on 286 and they'll buy it so we don't need to worry about QC."

For those of you following the Foxconn debacle, the current dispute isn't about wages but that they are asked to produce a product to certain specs without defects.
mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,255
Message 8 of 36

I completely agree about the customer service. I have been treated like dirt since the day I pressed "submit" to purchase the laptop on Lenovo's website. It's not just me, however, I know many people have been treated in this way.

1)  I never received any updates on shipping times etc. I understand some people had "wrong" dates updated for their order stauts, which kept on changing. I didn't even get that. I had to call up Lenovo multiple times myself, each time I was told a random shipping date (usually "by the end of the week"). And when it didn't ship, I wasn't told, but had to find out myself.

2)  It took forever for the laptop to be delivered (around a month from the day I ordered). No apologies or explanations. Just incomptence and poor supply chain control.

3)  Then I had all the problems as described in my posts above. ("gap" in the chassis, loose rubbery clickpad, worn out keys on the keyboard).

4) Customer service has been a complete disaster. I called them up within a week of all these problems surfacing. When I wanted to request a replacement (because the machine was DOA) they started (infuriatingly) debating about the exact date I received it, and whether it was within the 5 working days of receipt required to start a DOA procedure. It really is incredibly frustrating that they choose to pick a bone over 1 day (at best) after making such a huge blunder with their product. This whole process has taken an extra 5 days!!

5) Now they have forwarded my request to the complaint department (belatedly, after apparently "missing" my email about the problem earlier in the week -- another day and a half wasted). I am now waiting to hear back on this issue.

Really, for a company which likes to make big marketing claims (everyone makes big claims these days, but at least most reputable firms tend to deliver a product which is vaguely credible) - "A legend 20 years in the making", "For those who do" etc, this is exceptionally poor. And, judging from the posts of US-based people on this forum, I can say that if you think customer service of Lenovo in the US is bad/poor, it's completely rotten and incompetent in the UK.

I've now had my X1C for close to 2 weeks, and it sits on my desk like an expensive "black" elephant. Hope someone at Lenovo who "can do" something about this can take some action.

hopsonmc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,224
Message 9 of 36

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,219
Message 10 of 36

"Thank god!" ??....haha....appalling customer service has all sorts of perverse knock-on effects -- it even makes people rejoice at others' misery!! Smiley Wink

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors