cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahogburn
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 812
Message 11 of 36

Re: Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? I am still trying to decide on some compensation from Lenovo vs. outright returning the machine (I know, I might be a sucker). The gap on mine is much smaller than in the linked image, but still visible. 

hopsonmc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 811
Message 12 of 36

If it's past your 21 days since shipment you're screwed.

You're only hope is to return it before then and maybe wait a while until they start sending out a product that works.  Otherwise you're stuck with losing out of your money paid or dealing with their people to try and fix it.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

letterk
Punch Card
Views: 801
Message 13 of 36

@hopsonmc wrote:

If it's past your 21 days since shipment you're screwed.

You're only hope is to return it before then and maybe wait a while until they start sending out a product that works.  Otherwise you're stuck with losing out of your money paid or dealing with their people to try and fix it.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

You're still within the warranty though, so they will fix it.

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 752
Message 14 of 36

It has now been one whole week since I first notified Lenovo of the issue with my system.

So far, THERE HAS BEEN NO PROGRESS whatsoever.

I have only been bounced around like a tennis ball by one demotivated, dis-incentivized call centre clerk after another.

Currently, my complaint is with some obscure "complaint centre" based in Slovakia. There is no phone number for them. All I can do is send emails to CMT_WEST@LENOVO.COM , to which I don't receive any replies. It is like a black hole.

They promised to get back to me within 48 hours of my complaint being lodged. It is over 48 hrs, and I have not heard back from anybody.

Is there somebody at Lenovo who is held to account for such failures? It doesn't seem so.

I have lived in so-called "banana-republics" in the developing world before, and believe me, this is worse than the worst type of government agency inefficiency and incompetence. At least in such places, it is relatively easy to trace who the lazy official is. Lenovo's tech support/complaints dept is just a black box, nobody knows anything, or can anybody do anything.

hopsonmc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 739
Message 15 of 36

I feel your pain. 

I literally went through the same thing and finally gave up---went the refund route and got a Samsung that is going to be delivered to my house today (after ordering it yesterday).

To answer your question, No.  There is no one at Lenovo that is accountable, responsible, or cares about you.  They just care about sales and making sure that once you make the error of giving them your money they can keep it.

If you just bought it and are within your 21 days just refund it and try again with a new purchase it's a lot easier than dealing with the back and forth on their IVR and their totally inaccurate, incompetent call center agents. 

When I went through mine, I dealt with 2 different ones in Mexico, 2 in Georgia (who were tech support people that couldn't help me but were the best), and 4 somwhere in India.

It's like the worst game of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego ever.

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 731
Message 16 of 36

Thanks, so just to be clear, are you saying it's easier to go the refund route rather than bang my head against the wall by calling the tech/complaint centres with no end in sight?

Is it straightforward to do that, given I've already spent a week trying to get a DOA procedure started?

Btw, which Samsung did you go for? I am thinking about Series 9 15" ?

Thanks!

hopsonmc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 717
Message 17 of 36

1)  Yes.  I think it's better to just refund it.

Then if you really want to buy a functioning X1 then do it through Amazon so you don't have to deal directly with Lenovo and try to buy it through a reseller.  Avoid buying directly from Lenovo at all costs.

2)  My suspicion, and experience would have to bear it out but I don't want to be the guinea pig, is that they're trying to burn through hours and days so that when you get totally frustrated they can then say "Oh sorry we can't refund you it's been more than 21 days."

3)  I also went with the Samsung 9 15" because it met my needs and is actually $400 less than what I paid for my never functioning X1 Carbon.  256GB SSD and everything.  I bought it yesterday afternoon and it'll be here today.

letterk
Punch Card
Views: 707
Message 18 of 36

As I said in the other thread.  If you refund, they will try to charge you a 15% restocking fee.  Be prepared to fight it or take it up with your CC company.

Sadly, the Series 9 15" is too big for me and the 13" maxes at 4GB of memory.

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 695
Message 19 of 36

@letterk and @hopsonmc, thanks for your input. I will attempt to start a refund process on Monday (call centre closes at 6pm here local time). The laptop was delivered to me on 25 Sept, hope it's not too late.

mss40
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 619
Message 20 of 36

Update (15 Oct): I informed the Lenovo rep that I would like a refund instead. The rep said they will "forward" my request to the complaints department, and that I shall hear back at some unspecified time. I have no patience to waste the rest of my year (or more) with this issue. So I've now involved my credit card company to dispute the charge with Lenovo, as the goods were "not fit for purpose". Next step, if no progress is made: the small claims court! Wish me luck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors