cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnSmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 470
Message 31 of 36

@Re: Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

@SteveCr48: Just to counterbalance: I am also in the UK, and my experience with the Lenovo tech support (granted only with an accessory) was nothing but excellent. Called about my 10 day old 90W ultraslim adapter as it was behaving oddly. Quickly got through to somebody (with an Eastern European accent, but I doubt it was an Eastern European call centre) & sent my  proof of purchase. Got called back within 60 min (chap with a Scottish accent) and was told that the replacement part had been dispatched and that I  should throw away the old part. The new part arrived the next morning,  less than 24 hours after making the original call.  Smiley Happy

SteveCr48
Serial Port
Views: 465
Message 32 of 36

Re: @Re: Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

@johnSmith - good report! That parallels my experience in the US. I said, 'my experience' because I remember something from statistics about a sample size of n=1 Smiley Happy

Not to hijack the thread, but something to consider when purchasing a new device is the 'returnability.' Vendors are all over the map. Here in the US, Amazon.com is extremely liberal - 30-days, no questions asked. Microsoft offers 30-days on the Surface. Apple, on the other hand, will not take back custom configurations, period. 

All of us have had second thoughts after purchasing something. And, to make matters worse, when we lay out a lot of our personal savings for something that fails to meet our expectations, we feel taken advantage of and want in worst way to return it and start over. After all, we didn't buy a used or remanufactured device!

I'm not sure of Lenovo's fine print, but here's my recommendation, your mileage may vary:

1.  If you buy from Lenovo, make sure that you want it. Don't buy to demo.
  2.  Buy all of the warranty that you can stand (I get complete care, on-site, and upgraded call-in).
  3.  Keep an old Thinkpad in the closet, so you have a backup if your new one goes down (I have a 3-year-old T400).
  4.  Do your best to remember that one day the new one will be the one in the closet Smiley Happy -- admittedly, this is where I fail.

Cheers!

T400, X220
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 449
Message 33 of 36

@SteveCr48 wrote:
Apple, on the other hand, will not take back custom configurations, period. 

Really good points though in my experience the above statement is false.  I have returned store.apple.com custom configurations.  You have 15 days from receipt.

SteveCr48
Serial Port
Views: 443
Message 34 of 36

@ThorsHammer - you nailed it! right you are. Apple's policy is as you say, and it seems to be so across Education and Business, though it always hasn't. Thanks for the catch.

T400, X220
jcb193
Punch Card
Views: 391
Message 35 of 36

I too have noticed a small gap on my laptop in the center part, right below the touchpad. it is extremely annoying when I am using only the touchpad, as I can feel the give everytime I click....why o why do we put up with this device.  And to the previous poster on page 2, there is at least one company I know of that would not allow a flagship product this soddy to be released....

...think of how many hundreds of thousands of hours of people's lives have been wasted on the x1 carbon (contacting customer service, returning the laptop, repairs, misrepresented product).....

Moderator edit: Comments not following the Community Rules removed.

mglukh
Paper Tape
Views: 260
Message 36 of 36

Re: Discovered a big gaping HOLE in my new x1 carbon!!

My 2 cents:

1. loose trackpad

2. rubbery finish, not even close to macbook quality. awful sensitivity-wise

3. dull screen. 

4. door effect

5. sometimes didn't boot and become a brick for few hours. self-healing. somehow

6. build quality wise, I'd say x301 is better. 

7. AC adaptor blew up on second recharge, so could not recharge laptop any more

but that was enough already. returned and refunded

back to my 4 years old X301. In love with it even more now

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors