Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

06-27-2011

United States of America

33 Signins

287 Page Views

• Views: 287
  • Message 1 of 4

Do I need SWTOOLS folder after update from Windows 7 to Windows 10

2016-11-17, 15:36 PM

This folder is almost 4GB and all of the files look fairly old. Are the files in the SWTOOLS folder used in a Windows 10 install or all they left over? Any reason to keep this folder on the system drive? Thanks.

Answer
Options

9151 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77960 Signins

2236325 Page Views

• Views: 2236325

Re: Do I need SWTOOLS folder after update from Windows 7 to Windows 10

2016-11-17, 16:45 PM

Wihtout seeing your specific machine it's hard to be exact, but SWTOOLS typically contains software installers

They aren't used during operation but may be useful when reinstalling some drivers and apps.  Some of the apps (typically media apps like DVD players) won't be available for download from the Lenovo site.

That said, they may or may not install and function on Win 10.

My generic recommendation would be to archive that folder somewhere - flash drive or DVD - perhaps after first poking around and doing/trying any installs on the new OS.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

9151 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77960 Signins

2236325 Page Views

• Views: 2236325
  • Message 2 of 4

2016-11-17, 16:45 PM

Wihtout seeing your specific machine it's hard to be exact, but SWTOOLS typically contains software installers

They aren't used during operation but may be useful when reinstalling some drivers and apps.  Some of the apps (typically media apps like DVD players) won't be available for download from the Lenovo site.

That said, they may or may not install and function on Win 10.

My generic recommendation would be to archive that folder somewhere - flash drive or DVD - perhaps after first poking around and doing/trying any installs on the new OS.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

25 Posts

06-06-2013

United States of America

48 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-12-10, 17:34 PM

Just rename the folder SWTOOL to SWTOOL.OLD , Use the laptop for few days or a week and if you did not had any problem just delete it.

You should be good.

Options

4189 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12746 Signins

185396 Page Views

• Views: 185396
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-12-10, 18:21 PM

wrote:

Just rename the folder SWTOOL to SWTOOL.OLD , Use the laptop for few days or a week and if you did not had any problem just delete it.

You should be good.

There's nothing in SWTOOLS that's needed to run the system so renaming it or deleting it won't affect that. The directory contains only installers and related files to reinstall the utilities and programs that came bundled with the system. For example there's probably DVD writing software, an anti-virus package, Adobe Reader, etc. These never get updated after Lenovo ships them. So after a few years they tend to become stale if not totally useless. Also Windows 10 includes much of the functionality that used to be in these add-on packages so there's no longer any need to reinstall them. Finally most, if not all, of the remaining functionality can be downloaded for free. So in a system that's more than a couple of years old there's really little point in keeping this directory.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms