cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connmen
Token Ring
Views: 463
Message 1 of 6

Do I need to create partition on msata before factory/recovery install?

I am trying to use the recovery media to install the factory settings W7 to a newly installed Intel 310.

I have installed the 310, and it is definitely there and recognized by the computer.  I have removed my HDD and plugged in a DVD drive.  Also on hand are the successfully created recovery media (1 CD + 3 DVDs).

I put in the CD and boot via the DVD drive.  The Windows screen comes on and then it goes to R&R.  From there, I cannot for the life of me figure how how to start the ball rolling on installing W7 to the msata drive.

The two options presented appear to be to install a previous recovery backup, and none are listed.  Or to recover from an image, which then takes me to a screen that does not seem to identify an image no matter which of the four recover discs I put in.

Is there any Lenovo page that shows step by step to re-installing recovery media from disk?  I'm not a complete newb so this is frustrating.

My only guess perhaps is that I need to create a partition on msata before starting the factory recovery.  Not sure why that would be the case in that the factory recovery probably has utilities built in to do so, but I can't think of anything else.

Thanks for any help.

jimls
Punch Card
Views: 459
Message 2 of 6

Re: Do I need to create partition on msata before factory/recovery install?

I used the Recovery CD/DVD too.  As you did, I removed the original 320GB drive.  Then I did format the 310 SSD and had no problems.

Jim

connmen
Token Ring
Views: 455
Message 3 of 6

Did you format the SSD before rebooting without the HDD or after you rebooted into recovery?

jimls
Punch Card
Views: 451
Message 4 of 6

I did the format from the 320GB drive "Disk Managment"

Jim

connmen
Token Ring
Views: 448
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the quick response.  I will try this now.  Maybe that was the problem.  Will report back.

connmen
Token Ring
Views: 438
Message 6 of 6

Tried it again.  Didn't work.  But it's now clear to me that Lenovo R&R is failing to recognize the recovery disk that it created earlier today.  R&R said the recovery media was successfully created, but I guess not.

I will try installing from a Win7 installation disc.  Thanks for your help.

Top Kudoed Authors